Chapter 68

ADALYNNE

The spring air was delightful. The flowers had blossomed, leaves were growing back on the trees, and the grass always seemed greener. Although it's close to summer time, today was a gorgeous, colorful day that was delightful to be outside.

Although Jo, Lindsay, and I were inside Starbucks, we managed to order a smoothie due to the weather outside. Once we ordered, we made our way outside to the exterior seating. We sat at a table that was made of a quad of people under an umbrella.

"It is so beautiful out," Lindsay commented.

"I was thinking that too. I love spring time in New Jersey, especially when it's about to be summer," I responded. I adjusted my heart-shaped sunglasses Jo had loaned me and placed them on top of my head.

"The weather in Georgia was so steamy hot. With the humidity and everything, it could reach to over 100°. July was the hottest month; I couldn't stand it," Jo stated.

Lindsay and I cringed at the thought of dealing with that kind of weather.

The waiter delivered our smoothies and walked back inside.

"This whole pregnancy thing has me breaking out so badly," Jo said as she took a sip of her smoothie.

I looked closely at her face, seeing nothing but a clear canvas.

"On my back. It's so gross."

Lindsay shook her head. "Have you seen Nicole?" she cackled.

Jo mumbled, "God, I hope my face doesn't turn out like that."

"Do you know who the baby's daddy is?" I wondered. Lord knows - she's been with so many guys.

Lindsay hummed when she was sipping on her pink smoothie. She swallowed, "I don't know if it's true or not, but I heard it was one of Derek's friends."

Jo cackled, "I'm surprised it isn't Derek's baby after all."

I shook my head. "God knows whose it is. Poor baby."

"Speaking of Derek, Baylor's mom said he's coming back to town," I mentioned.

Their eyes widened a bit. "What did Baylor say about that?" Lindsay questioned.

"All he said was he wouldn't try anything on me again. He didn't say much at all, and he didn't make one rude comment about him coming back."

Jo's eyebrows arched and the wrinkles on her forehead appeared. "I'm surprised by that," Jo murmured.

Lindsay's phone vibrated against the table and she peeked at it. "Ugh, that's Lane - oh shoot, it's 6 o'clock!" she exclaimed.

"Got somewhere to be?" I pondered.

"Yeah, his parents invited me over for dinner. I forgot it was Lane's mother's birthday."

We loaded into Lindsay's car and rode back to Shady Grove. "Earned It" by The Weeknd played on the radio, and I remembered the night Baylor sang that song to me. I chuckled at the hilarious memory.

Lindsay dropped Jo and I off at the apartment, and when we were walking up the steps, Jo's phone rang. She replied and slid her phone into her pocket. When I went to open the door, it was locked.

I groaned and dug in my bag for my key. When I stuck it in, the door immediately opened. Aiden let us both in and when I walked in, the apartment smelt of coconut.

I began to walk to my room, and I noticed a red rose pedal. And then there were a few more that were made into a trail. I scrunched my eyebrows together in confusion. I opened my bedroom door to a full room of red balloons, and I couldn't even walk in. My floor was invisible.