Chapter 28

BAYLOR

"What time is it?" she asked, her soft voice lingering through my ears. I pulled my phone from my pocket to read the time.

"9:05," I answered. "You can stay with me tonight so you won't be alone," I insisted.

"I will if you promise that we go to school tomorrow because Jo said I've missed some assignments and I can't leave her alone," Adalynne looked up. I was softly twisting her long hair between my fingers.

"Of course, just pack some clothes for tomorrow." Three minutes passed, and she didn't find the urge to get up.

She groaned, making me smile. "I don't feel like getting up."

I moved my arm from around her body and scooped her up.

"You're such a lazy bum." That made her smile and look at me.

"Apparently you like my laziness 'cause you did so happen to pick me up when I didn't ask."

"Yeah, I do like your laziness," I grinned, plopping her down on her socked feet. She grabbed a bag from a hook. I sat on her bed as I watched her pack clothes and makeup in her bag.

"Why are you packing makeup? You don't need it," I told her, hoping she'd change her mind. I liked her natural face, and I loved to stare at the freckles that danced upon her face.

"Have you seen me early in the morning? I look like a zombie off of The Walking Dead," Adalynne joked.

"You watch too much of that crap. You do not look like a zombie; you look just as good as you do now," I admit, watching her turn around with a slight red tint jazz across her cheeks.

"Yeah . . . I still look ugly with no makeup on." She left the toiletry bag open as she traced to her bathroom for her toothbrush, shampoo and conditioner.

"I like that, Adalynne, and I like the freckles that you always try to cover up," I said. She still threw the toiletry container in her bag and sat her bag on her bed beside me. "And you don't like my shampoo?" I tried to sound offended.

"Oh, I do. It's just that I don't wanna go to school tomorrow smelling like a guy." She glanced at me while she was chucking folded clothes in her bag. Her nose was clinched and I couldn't happen to halt the leer that spread ear to ear.

Just before she closed her bag, she grabbed her charger and a pair of boots. "I'm ready if you are," she said then cut off her floor lamp.

"Let's go then."

***

It was already 9:45, and by the time we both got to my place and showered, I didn't have time to cook. I pulled into the driveway of Taco Bell, and asked if a dozen Doritos Locos Tacos was alright for dinner. Her eyes lit up into the size of saucers and I knew that meant yes. Once I ordered the dozen tacos, we waited in line behind three cars.

"I really don't like when people buy my food," Adalynne complained.

I sighed, and laid my hand on top of hers that was rested on my seat-splitter. "Get used to it. Since you're in a relationship with me, you're spending no money," I told her, signified of my words.

I saw how she rolled her eyes, and added, "But when I'm with Jo or Aiden, you're not paying for anything then," she smiled a toothy grin, trying to assure herself that she's won. But she hasn't.

"It's called giving money, love." I smiled the same grin that she once held.

"I'll tell them to give it back or not to accept it," she promised.