Chapter 37

"Merry Christmas, little sis," Aiden wished. I sat on the floor in front of the sofa, leaning on the couch for support.

"Merry Christmas," I said. The gifts for him were sat beside him, and the presents from Aiden had been placed beside me.

"Okay, you can go first."

I retrieved the little bag that was somewhat weighty for its size. All of the tissue paper that Aiden stuffed inside was covering the gift, and once I threw the loud, crinkly paper aside, the present was revealed.

"Apparently someone has been snooping in my trash can," I smiled. "Thank you." The scents were my favorite, and I was in need of the four again.

"You're welcome. And no I haven't been snooping," he paused, "keep in mind that I was the only guy in there."

I placed the four packages back inside the green, glittery bag and dictated that Aiden opens his first.

"You're the best sister ever." He opened the shoe box and gazed at the shoes inside. The shoes were the pair he's been desiring for a while, but never got around to buying some.

"I know, right," I arrogantly boasted with a lilt.

"Go ahead and open yours and I'll open mine at the same time."

The last gift was light and very skinny. The wrapping paper that covered the box was ripped from the white box that covered the scrawny gift inside.

"You didn't," I gasped, gawking at the laptop he had gotten me.

"Best brother award goes to me," he grinned.

"Yes! Oh, my God," I gawked. "Thank you, thank you, thank you!" I screeched, squeezing his buff body in a tight, bear hug.

I pulled away, trying to calm down. "Thank you for the gifts, sis. I really love them."

"Okay, I've gotta go to Jo's for her family's get together, so I've gotta shower and get ready. I expect a big breakfast prepared by the time I get done."

Well, for someone who's just gotten rid of a fever but still has a cold, he's in a really good mood.

I began to gather the ingredients that were needed to prepare the breakfast casserole my father had made every Christmas morning. While it was heating up in the oven, I gathered all of my gifts and presents and sat them on my bed. Coming back into the living room, I cleaned up all of the wrapping paper, tissue paper, and bags and placed them in the trash can.

Just as I was about to take the big trash bag out, my phone rang and I smiled at the contact name.

"Merry Christmas," I announced with a huge smile over my lips.

"Merry Christmas, baby. Enjoy your gifts?" Baylor asked.

"Yeah, I did," I answered.

Guess what I did this morning," he called through the speaker.

"What did you do this morning?" I mocked. Putting the call on speaker phone, I listened to him while I began to tear tags off of clothes.

"I called my mom."

"Baylor, that's amazing! What did she say?"

"She was just wishing me a Merry Christmas and she asked how I was doing here and in school and all. She asked about you and Aiden, too."

"I'm so proud of you for calling her. That's so amazing," I softly spoke into the phone, my smile peeking through my voice.

I heard him lightly snort through the phone. "What's funny?"