Chapter 14

The gym was the aroma of sweat, dirt, and a musty stench. The low yet echoing music in the background was a mixture of rock, pop, and alternative melodies. The pounding of mats echoed around the gym, the hammering and blows to punching bags sounded about the area.

Shirtless men who were drenched in sweat appeared everywhere, their hair marinated in sweat, and their dirty yet careless stench went along with the body odor. These men weren't scrawny men, either. They were burly built with years of practice and triumph in bulking. These guys were bodybuilders.

Jo and I walked around numerous wrestling mats, getting out of the way of the men wrestling around on the mats. Plenty of tap outs were heard as the loser patted the mat loud enough for the referee, or the trainer to hear. I spotted Aiden on the last vast wrestling mat that was at the back of the gym. He had a whistle hanging out of his mouth - enough to where he could shout at the two fighting bodies rolling in agony and wheezing for a desperate breath that Aiden wasn't allowing.

Once passed all the small mats, I finally approached Aiden's mat. His head turned from the brawling boys and towards us. Aiden turned his consideration back to the boys and blew his whistle. The two boys discontinued and heaved for a breath of air.

"Working them to death?" I quizzed, referring to the two boys who mutually were running for their water bottles. While Aiden, Jo, and I were walking towards each other, Aiden turned his attention back to the boys, smirked, and stopped in front of me.

"They're training and that's part of the plan. How'd you get here?" Aiden asked and scoped out Jo.

"Jo drives," I paused.

"Jo, this is my older brother, Aiden." I turned to Jo, and she smiled at Aiden. "And Aiden, this is my friend, Jo." Aiden nodded at her and mumbled a "hey" beneath his breath and grinned his signature smile.

"So, this is what you've been doing in the past, what? Weeks? Months?" I inquired. This is where my brother spends his time at. This gym is his second home.

"Yup, pretty much. This or tournaments which is at the end of every ten weeks: for me, my own tournament is next week. The competitions I've been going to are only for the kids I coach." With that, I nodded my head once. He's never notified me of this before.

"Baylor's around here somewhere. He said he was going to lift or some shit. I haven't seen him in about an hour," Aiden announced, searching for his best friend.

"So, you both met at school?" Aiden asked, glancing between Jo and me. He kept a steady gaze on Jo.

"No, Aiden, we met on the side of the road," I sarcastically added. Aiden looked at me dumbfounded.

"I always knew you were a hobo," Aiden sneered, earning a giggle from Jo. I glowered at both, which reasoned them both to laugh audibly. Currently, a silent streak had fallen upon us three, and glancing at Jo because I thought she was looking at me, Jo was watching wrestlers instead. I looked at Aiden, and he was gawking at Jo, like he was a carnivore, and she was the only meat present.

Two strong arms locked around my chest and a burly torso was compressed against my backside. I examined the dark, immense hands that had prominent knuckles and veins. Reek filled my senses and sweat absorbed onto my back.

"Ew, Baylor, get off of me. You stink," I cringed. A deep chuckle was heard closely by my ear, and I glanced at Jo, who had a powerful grin prominent on her lips. 'I told you so' her expression interpreted.

"Squeeze her tighter, Baylor. She might throw up on you," Aiden teased.

"Shut up, Aiden," I pressed.

"Well, I must not stink that bad if you're not pushing me off of you. Or am I just too strong to do so?" Baylor boasted, his voice full of glee. I wasn't going to feed his ego.