Chapter 20

BAYLOR

At the end of September, it began getting cooler now that it's nearly October. The breeze out on the balcony tonight felt very bitter yet it felt amazing. The blinking lights of Shady Grove looked barely alive over the hill. It felt good to be back home.

Her vivid ocean blue eyes filled my mind every day and every night. They haunted me during my sleep and in my dreams. I took another swig of the Corona, swallowing and staring out at the lights again.

The way the freckles kissed her face around her eyes and atop the bridge of her nose was like little stars that twinkled in the night sky.

I lit a cigarette, letting the smoke fill my lungs as I dragged on it.

Every time she laughed was a beautiful melody that was stuck in my head. That made her dimples approach, causing me to adore her more than I should. I already had strong feelings towards her and everything that she done made it worse. I was trying to get over her, yet everything she done made me give up and chase after her faster. I kept chasing and wasn't getting anywhere.

I finished the cigarette, grinding the end of the butt into the rocks in the smoker's pot I had on my balcony. I threw it into the hole and made my way into finding something to eat in the kitchen. I slid the French doors closed, locked it, and pulled the drape over the door. I turned off the outside balcony light off and turned on practically every light in the condo on. I padded across the carpeted floor onto the hardwood floor of the kitchen, scuffing my feet this time. I pulled my phone from the pocket of my shorts and turned off airplane mode. No missed calls from anyone. Figures. I did have a text from Aiden, saying that I should join him in the gym tomorrow since it's Sunday. I replied with a simple "Be there" and powered my phone off. Megan texted me, but I just ignored it. Her personality was so dry and I just wasn't interested in her.

I opened the fridge and found some leftover pizza that I cooked two nights ago. It was still good, so I put some in the microwave while I turned the living room T.V on. Once it was done, I grabbed a bottle of water and headed to the living room, propping my feet on the coffee table as I sat down. Football games were on, some television shows and a few movies as well. Nothing good was on, so I left it at a football game.

The night carried on, and by the time I was ready to get a shower, it was already 11:45 PM. I placed the bowl in the sink and turned the lights and the TV off as I walked upstairs. Once I was through, I brushed my teeth and all and went to bed with no shirt on, the sheets feeling nice and cool against my skin as I lie in bed. I slowly felt myself falling asleep, her face filling my mind and dreams as darkness approached.