Chapter 32

ADALYNNE

December came slowly but surely. The season changed from breezy weather and raked leaves. All of the pumpkins were put away. Now, snow has began falling heavily on everything in sight, the Christmas lights have been hung everywhere and Christmas trees shine brightly in open windows every night. Snowmen were built by kids throughout neighborhoods and winter had just gotten bitterly cold. Christmas music began playing on radio stations just the day after Thanksgiving.

Aiden said that Mom's favorite holiday was Christmas. She loved decorating the tree with ornaments and a million sets of Christmas lights along with popcorn on strings. Aiden said that I was the one who put the big, bright star on the top of the tree since I was a year old. She loved decorating the house with lights all around, and once everything was done, she'd buy cinnamon scented candles that lit up the whole entire house.

Dad's favorite holiday was New Year's. He decorated the house with confetti and liked to keep us awake until midnight to shoot fireworks off into the sky. He aspirated the new year coming; a new fresh start awaiting, including his diet. Aiden said he caught him the night of January 1st of every year eating the container of moose track ice cream.

But Aiden and I never celebrated any holidays. Aiden and I never decorated Christmas trees or shoot fireworks off on New Year's Eve. Without Dad and Mom, we never carried on the tradition because half of our family wasn't here to celebrate them anymore. The only thing we done was exchange a gift or two on special occasions.

"So students, as you all have ended your finals, you will receive your scores back once you return from Christmas break. Don't drink and drive on New Year's. You're underage. Be good at home and help your parents or guardians decorate the house and the Christmas tree. And as you all begin leaving this class and are not coming back until next year," Mr Tress paused from a big speech as he halted midway to end his pacing in front of the room, "Have a good break." The bell had rung once his mild lecture was over, signaling that it was time to go to second period class.

I felt a tap on my shoulder, and out of everyone in the world, it was Derek. I began gathering my books from the side of my desk.

"What?" I blurted.

"Well damn, saying hey would've been nice."

"I have nothing to say to you," I spoke.

"You seem to have the case of 'the bitch on her period' again," Derek smirked.

"Wow, is that all you have to say? If you want a girlfriend that badly, start out by not calling her out in the lunchroom." I pushed passed him and walked towards math.

The second bell of the day had rang; students in the hallway had scurried to get to their second academic class. The only thoughts that ran through my mind were that I could barf any second now from bad cramps. Since Ms. Shaw is only in her mid-twenties and she's pretty cool, she allows students to text in class, which is what I'm going to do.

I texted Aiden, typing in my touch screen keyboard:

Please come pick me up, I'm not feeling too well :(

My name was called on the intercom, telling Ms. Shaw that I was needed to the front office to go. I gathered my books and travelled back to the wing which my locker was on and threw my books in, retrieving my bag.

"So the bitch on her period returns," Aiden lilted as he put the truck in drive. I scowled at him.

"Shut up. I already had to deal with that today, so don't push it," I declared.

"Who? Derek?" Aiden asked.

I wanted to know how he knew that, but just as another Christmas song came on, I slammed my palm into Aiden's radio, making it shut up.