Chapter 40

ADALYNNE

I couldn't help but squeeze the nerves out of Baylor's hand as we glided across the white, icy, slithery floor. It was like gliding across a hardwood floor with socks covering your feet, but it was ten times worse. I felt drunk as I wobbled around everywhere in a lurching manner. But Baylor was a professional at this and he helped me stay off of the cold, icy floor.

"I can't do this!" I declared. By the time I screamed my words, I fell. My butt felt like I had ice melting inside of my jeans. However, Baylor hadn't lost his balance, but his hand was still molded into mine. He laughed quietly and asked if I was okay. He skated in a backwards method and strolled in front of me and reached for my hands. He pulled me up from the floor. After I was towed beside Baylor with a few episodes of staggering, I began getting the hang of it. A couple of times felt like I were about to hit the iced floor again, but Baylor kept me in check with his strength. He'd pull me carefully by my arm if I nearly fell.

"I can't believe you've never been ice skating before."

I stepped with my left foot and glided forward with my right. I remembered the technique that Baylor had taught and told me. As if you were walking, take a step with your foot and glide with the opposite: vise-versa, he'd say.

"I never had anyone to go with. Aiden was always busy and I was in AP classes so we never had any time."

Baylor didn't say anything, but he turned backwards beside me, not anywhere close by me so he'd make me fall. He skated rearward in front of me and clasped his hands with mine.

"Why aren't you in AP classes now?" Baylor questioned, gawking at me.

"It was kicking my butt. I barely got any sleep. I was sleep deprived a few times and Aiden sworn on his life that I had a few hallucinations," I clarified. I grinned after.

"I'm guessing it was English that kept you up all night," Baylor conjectured, ecstatic by his correct choice.

"Definitely. I pulled all-nighters just to get three assignments done in a day. Two of them were for English and then I had, like, this six-hundred page book to read and I had only a week to read it." I sighed, reminiscing the thirty minutes worth of sleep every night and then got a nap in except for eating lunch. I never used my phone as I was busy with projects and duties for my AP classes.

"Did you like to read?" I shook my head.

"I dropped AP English this year because it just gets harder and more tasky," I prompted.

"I used to be a book worm before high school," Baylor chuckled, seeming chagrined with his confession.

"What did you like to read?" I wondered. There was a possibility that I knew every author out there.

"I was a fan of Nicholas Sparks, J.K Rowling, and Stephen King." I was correct. Due to all of the books out there that I've possibly read - rather it being Shakespeare to Nicholas Sparks, I've read a lot in just two semesters of my freshman year.

"I do like Nicholas Sparks," I beam. "But John Green is my favorite."

"The author who wrote "The Fault in Our Stars"?" I smile at his knowledge. I've taken a liking to his "book worm" persona.

"Yeah, I wanna go see the movie. I've read the book over and over again," I acknowledge.

"Then let's go see it." I smile, nodding my head in approval.

As the music played in the background, it felt like my feet were getting used to the method of ice skating. That was until someone ran into us. Baylor went down first and I came sprawling down on him quickly. He wasn't mad, but he was a bit frustrated. I laughed and the scowl disappeared as soon as he knew I was okay.