Chapter 1: Overreactions

Inhaling the chilling air, I shouted out into the wind again. "Jake!" I called, jogging slightly to catch up with him as he stormed ahead. "Hey, I'm talking to you!" I shouted, feeling my temper rising quickly as he continued to ignore me, my eyes rolled in frustration. "Oh, for crying out loud Jacob, I'm sorry okay!" I stressed irritably, stopping as I knew I wouldn't be able to keep up with his long strides any longer.

I didn't understand why he was so angry with me. It really wasn't a big deal. Yesterday I had gone on a semi-friendly date with an ex-boyfriend. He was still a part of my friendship group so it wasn't that unusual for me to hang out with him... we just happened to be alone yesterday.

Blowing things out of proportion was Jacob's thing, he believed that as my best friend he had a right to react like this when he found out that I was keeping things from him. I understood that we needed to tell each other stuff, I just hadn't had the chance to until today.

To be fair, it was all his fault I had gone on the date in the first place. Ryan was my first real-ish boyfriend seeing as we were only fifteen. It may have been love, I wasn't sure, but it was all I knew. It was the first time I had experienced it. We split up after only a short time together, he believed I was too close to Jake and that I had feelings for him.

Which I didn't.

After a few months of getting over my pathetic, childish heartbreak, and how I had clung to Jake in my times of need I began to realise that Ryan's reasoning was coming true. The more time spent with Jake the more I began to think of him as everything but just a best friend.

Dating was the only way I felt I could get over him. Jake that is. That way, I may be able to find someone else I can feel strongly for without letting Jacob ever know how I truly feel about him. That's where Ryan came back into the picture, he asked me out, so I said yes.

Jake only thought of me as a sister, a best friend, and I couldn't ruin what we had together by telling him the truth. It was a tough situation to be in and I'm sure many other girls had been in or are in the same position with their guy best friends. I couldn't allow myself to be strung along by a boy that doesn't even know what he's doing to me. It wasn't fair on either of us...

"What?" He snapped stopping a few feet in front of me, turning around with his arms crossed. He wanted me to say it again, the cheek of it! I clenched my jaw trying not to become too irritated with him.

He hated Ryan. Always had. His favourite words to describe Ryan were "asshole" and "douchebag". I didn't completely disagree, Ryan was sometimes overly confident. At the tender age of just fifteen he was allowed to play football with the seniors and ultimately that had gotten to his head and made him a little hard to be around sometimes, it just created an ego war between the two of them.

"I said I'm sorry. I should have told you I was going on a date with Ryan, but I didn't and I'm sorry." I apologised looking him in the eye so he knew I was being serious. Usually I wouldn't apologise but he was just so wound up by this I thought it would be the right thing to do.

As I watched him the long wisps of his hair escaped his loose ponytail holding his hair back. I hated it when he wasn't bothered by the hair brushing over his face, it would drive me insane.

"Ari, I didn't mean to get angry. I just want to know these things. I'm your best friend and how do you think I feel when I see you out with another guy without telling me. Especially him." He said stepping closer taking my hands in his, he's so over protective it really gets to me sometimes. I love it and I hate it. "I don't like it when we don't tell each other stuff. It makes me worry, you know?" I held back from squinting my eyes at him in annoyance.