Chapter 52: Experimenting

"Are you honestly sure about this, Seth?" I asked him as we made our way out to the front of the house and down the porch steps. "We don't know what she's capable of yet. And I can't see in her mind if she's going to attack or not... she might even be stronger than me." I said the last part mostly to myself but he still needed to listen to reason.

I'd never really thought about that, granted I had a lot on my mind lately, but I was only the strongest vampire around because I constantly had human blood in my muscles and tissues. Bella's fresh and new, could she be as strong as me? The other newborns weren't but they were at least a few days old, I didn't know if that made a difference.

I was Seth's only wall of defence in this plan, if she could over power me, she'd squash him like a bug.

"We need to be sure she can handle herself. No secret spilling yet, I just want to see if Nessie will be safe around her." He announced, not even turning around to look at the rest of us, his eyes scanning the forest.

"I really doubt she'll kill her own baby." I shrugged, glaring at Seth's back. I had no idea where the sweet boy had gone... I didn't like this side of him. He was being protective of his imprint, I understood that, but this plan was just brain-numbingly stupid.

He shot round to look at me, his eyes filled with fury and nostrils flaring. "You don't know that!" He seethed, stomping towards me.

Jake growled fiercely in warning, stepping in front of me as Jesse mirrored his actions, moving towards my left in his wolf form. Maybe it wasn't an imprint issue, maybe it was just a wolf trait to be protective of their own.

It was a shame for them that I didn't need their protection.

I pushed past Jacob and met Seth head on. Glaring up at his stranger-like face, I didn't show any sign of fear. "Alright, back down Seth, you may be bigger than me but I'm still stronger and older." I warned him, poking a finger into his chest.

His hard expression faltered immediately under my threatening glare, his faced softened and quickly became apologetic. "Right. Sorry."

Jacob stifled a laugh from behind me, one hand leaving the proximity of having his arms folded across his chest to cover his mouth. I looked back over my shoulder to smile at him. He mirrored it, giving me a childish, lopsided grin. "You can back off, Jess. Seth has learned his lesson." Jesse barked a laugh in return. Leah seemed to be inwardly grimacing, still on edge as always.

Soon enough Edward's thoughts crept into my mind, they were close, and from the state of Bella's torn up dress I could guess that she'd fun on her first hunt. "Prepare yourself, they're coming." I announced, nodding towards the section of the trees they were going to appear through.

Manly Seth was back, breathing harshly as he turned to face the trees. He reminded me of Jacob as he folded his arms and puffed out his chest... always trying to make themselves look bigger in front of the enemy.

"Don't breathe," Edward's voice cautiously whispered to Bella.

I took a few steps back to stand with Jacob, his hands wrapping around my waist from behind. I wasn't sure if it was out of comfort or protectiveness but I settled back into him anyway. Jesse and Leah flanked us as we watched Seth stand at the line where the forest touched the lawn.

"Carefully, Seth," Edward said. Leah snarled in warning, she didn't want any harm to come to her baby brother. "Maybe this isn't the best way--"

"You think it would be better to let her near the baby first?" Seth interrupted and my eyes widened. Definitely a new kind of Seth. "It's safer to see how Bella does with me. I heal fast."