Chapter 8: Male Rivalry

Prom. It's meant to be one of the most memorable days of my life. A coming of age. Something that every teenage girl looks forward to in life. I was excited about it, but that was until a few days ago. Jake had found out who my date was.

Ryan had asked me and I accepted, we were going as a group and as there was an equal amount of boys and girls in our group we all had our own individual dates. After spring break Ryan had apologised for how arrogant he was when he wouldn't hand me over to Jake. He said he wanted to take care of me himself... I didn't know how true that was.

Jake had told me that he didn't like Ryan and didn't want me seeing him. I argued back with "you hardly know the guy and don't get to control what I do or who I see." Jake's never acted kindly to me going out with other boys, always saying that he never trusts them and doesn't want me with them, but this time I told him that he isn't my boyfriend and doesn't get to control me. All he said was that he doesn't want me to get hurt before changing the subject completely leaving me to storm up to my room.

I don't get him sometimes, he expects us to act as a couple even though we aren't, expecting me to stay single. He never approves of a guy I try and date because he feels they aren't right. Yet, he loves to gush about Bella to me every chance he gets, its not exactly fair.

When Bella left back in March it was only for a week. She had claimed to of had some giant argument with Edward resulting in her running away back home to Phoenix, her believing it was the only option. Apparently Edward and his Dad followed her to get her to come back home, to try and reason with her. In the hotel Edward and Dr. Cullen were staying at, she had fallen down two flight of stairs and out a window.

She had lost a lot of blood, hit her head badly, broken her leg and a few ribs. She was off school for a while but now she was all healed up, apart from her foot. When visiting Bella after school to keep her company during her time off we had grown a lot closer, I guess bonding over missing our mom's. Edward remained close by her side and I always left as soon as he arrived, being in a room together was just too awkward.

"We're here!" Cassie's excited voice squealed, her hands clapping together excitedly as we pulled up outside the school. Our group decided on a limo to take us to prom. Ryan took my hand as he helped me out of the limo, whispering how beautiful I looked as I stood up straight. "Thank you." I blushed smoothing out my dress waiting for the others to step out of the car.

My dress was a deep red, almost like the colour of wine. It clung to my body perfectly accentuating my curves with a deep V neck showing a decent amount of cleavage. It was backless too, only small spaghetti straps looping around my arms holding it up, my skin exposed right until the bottom of my back.

 It was backless too, only small spaghetti straps looping around my arms holding it up, my skin exposed right until the bottom of my back

I entered the school gym, my hand linked with Ryan's and I had to admit, it was giving me butterflies. When the limo had come to pick us girls up from Scarlett's my heart twinged at the sight of him. It was the first time I had ever felt like that about him since I had been with him. He wore a simple light grey suit with a white shirt and a darker grey tie, and he had a dark red rose pinned to the lapel of his jacket to match my dress.