Chapter 4: Close Calls

Two weeks had passed since the boys and I last hung out together. School had gotten in the way for all of us. Paul, Jared and Jesse had their finals coming up, so Dad literally forced them to study for hours on end. None of them had plans for college and because of this it made Dad even more harder on them because he wanted them to do well in life.

In the past two weeks the three of them had also got progressively bigger and because of their studying they hadn't even gone to the gym. Jesse's mood had changed as well. He hardly ever came out of his room now and when I would try to talk with him he would just send me away. It was very rare to see his old cheery self nowadays, he always had this underlying anger in him.

He had also grown as well, he was 6ft but now he was at least 6ft 3. Dad said that he was hitting his final growth spurt which I had assumed previously and that it was nothing unusual for boys his age, Paul and Jared helping to back up his theory. I just didn't think it would happen this fast.

"Hey Jesse, can I ask you something?" I asked falling onto the couch beside him. For the past week we had been staying at Dad's as Mom was on a business trip in Miami. She was an architect but mostly worked from home.

"What?" It was like he was bored of me already. His expression was plain, but his jaw was clenched as he flicked through the channels on the TV.

I asked the only plausible question that could possibly be the answer to his sudden muscle growth. "Are you on steroids?" I asked he stopped his flicking and turned to look at me.

"What?" He asked his eyes narrowing as he looked over me.

"I asked if you were on steroids because you're just so big now and I don't understand how when you don't really go to the gym." I repeated, shrugging my shoulders. It seemed like an obvious question to ask.

"Hey, is anybody home?" I heard Jake call through the house. We kept our front door unlocked when somebody was in the house.

"Yeah in here." I called back keeping my eyes on Jesse. His eyes seemed almost all black. His hands were shaking as he clasped them into fists.

"Are you fucking stupid?" Jesse asked me as Jake walked into the room.

"Excuse me?" I said furrowing my eyebrows at his outburst.

Jesse stood from his chair and moved to stand over to me, pointing his finger in my face.

"Why the fuck would I be on steroids?" He questioned his voice getting louder as he got closer to me.

I knew Jesse had a temper, but I didn't realise he could get like this, especially with me. His face was red, and I could feel the heat radiating from him as his anger got the better of him. You see normally a girl would back down and apologise but I have a temper too and I'm not gonna let someone treat me like that. Family or not.

"Jesus Jesse it was only a fucking question. No need to get all up in my face!" I said standing too, causing him to step back a bit.

"Don't fucking act all innocent, you little bitch." Jesse yelled grabbing my wrist forcefully, his grip burning me.

"Hey Jesse, why don't you calm do-" Jake began stepping closer to us as the anger left my face and pain replaced it.

"Shut up, Black." He shouted, still glaring at me as he reached his arm out to shove Jake back.

"Jesse let go, your hurting me." I could feel the tears burning in the back of my eyes.

"Jesse! Man, calm down." Jake tried to grab him, but Jesse swung round and punched him in the face, and Jake stumbled back grabbing his chin to try and soothe the pain.