Chapter 19: Scars

As soon as we got to Emily's I was just dropped off on her doorstep with a small explanation of the situation by Jesse before they all ran off again leaving us alone. She had dragged me inside into the kitchen before telling me to take a seat on the counter beside the sink.

On the inside I was skeptical, she had stolen her cousin's boyfriend for crying out loud! How could someone do that? At that instance Bella fell into my mind and I quickly shook her away. Jake was not my boyfriend. I put my judgemental self back into her box and relaxed, Emily was willing to help me so I was going to be open minded.

I had rarely ever seen her around and we had only been introduced a couple times but her beauty had been mesmerising. However her beauty was now jarred, the deep claw marks that set into her skin raked over her face and down the right side of the top of her body.

"It's actually kind of a amazing how you've healed, with the amount of blood on your arm I can tell it was bad." She said rolling up my sleeve and holding my arm gently as she let warm water run over the cloth. I grimaced at what my arm was like with the puncture wounds, I shivered as I relived the scraping of teeth on bone. "I've never met a vampire before." She went on, rinsing the blood stained water out of the cloth.

"Half vampire." I stated slightly irritably. I hated having to constantly correct. "It was only a puncture wound." I shrugged, the pain now completely forgotten.

"It must be nice to heal." She said quietly a few moments later, I wasn't sure if I was meant to hear.

I snuck a glance at the side of her face again, the scars weren't wide but they weren't neat - though what could you expect from a bear mauling? They must have been so painful, especially being so freshly healed, she must have been so scared.

Emily suddenly dropped my arm startling me. "What? What happened?" I jumped down off of the counter and stepped away from her, what did I do?

"How did you do that?" She blinked at me completely startled. Her left arm coming over to cover her scarred bicep.

"Do what?" I was utterly confused.

"I heard your thoughts." She whispered, entirely freaked out. It was freaking me out too.

"My thoughts?" How did I do that?

"You were thinking about my scars." Now I was completely embarrassed. She must have been worried about the idea of having a half vampire in her kitchen and now she knew I was judging her scars.

"Oh Emily, I don't know how I did that, I've never done it before! I'm so sorry." I was horrifically embarrassed, I couldn't believe that now was the time that ability decided to show itself.

She seemed disoriented but not scared. "It's okay. It just startled me." She stepped towards me again, the panic in her eyes settling completely. "Take my hand and think of something else." I grabbed her hand gently and thought of seeing Jake in wolf form for the first time yesterday.

She let go of my hand and smiled softly. "I was scared the first time I saw Sam too." I returned her smile, what else could I do? "So what does this mean?"

"I think it means I have another gift." I couldn't believe I had another gift. I could read minds, create a barrier, and share my thoughts whilst my barrier was still up. Carlisle would of loved to have heard this, he would've added it to my file. Throughout the first few days of my new life he created a file with all my characteristics and measured my strength and speed towards other vampires. Him being gone means he's missed so much.