Chapter 63: Evidence

"Chelsea is trying to break through and remove our bindings." I whispered as I felt the pressure on my shield as she tried again.

"But she can't find them... she can't feel us here?" Edward's words were drawn out showing his confusion. His eyes shot down to Bella and I. "Are you two doing that?"

"We figured it out." I shrugged, trying to focus.

"We've got this. Aria is the main line of defence as she's better at controlling it than I am. We're acting as each other's back up." Bella smiled grimly as she explained the situation.

Then suddenly - instinctively - Edward leaped forward towards Carlisle. Jane, the Volturi's most viscous weapon, had began her offensive attack and directed it at Carlisle. The film of my shield that surrounded him took the sharp jab but left Carlisle concealed. He felt nothing. The attack on my shield wasn't painful, it was just uncomfortable.

"Carlisle? Are you all right?" Edward gasped frantically.

"Yes. Why?"

"Jane," Edward answered.

"Edward, you need to have more confidence in us." I said, not even turning my head to look at him, my gaze focused totally on the little, angelic demon.

Then on cue, it was expected really, Jane fired at least a dozen more jabs at my shield, directed at both wolves and vampires. Bella flexed, checking her shield was still intact. I didn't need to do this, I could already tell that there was no way in hell anyone would be getting through us.

"Incredible," Edward said.

"Why aren't they waiting for the decision?" Tanya hissed.

"Normal procedure," Edward answered, annoyed. "They usually incapacitate those on trial so they can't escape."

Jane looked ready to scream out in anger. If she was still human she would be crimson with rage. No one before Bella and I had defied her gift, and now there were more than forty, standing proud and out of her fiery reach.

It had been proven now, though only Aro knew of the gift, that Bella and I's capabilities were much more advanced than everyone had initially first thought. The secret didn't matter much now. So, just to rub it in, I winked and then smiled smugly at Jane.

I heard Bella laugh quietly beside me and then Jane narrowed her eyes at us, and our shields took on another massive stab of pressure. This time she directed all the force at Bella and I.

I smiled wider, showing my teeth, and I knew that Bella was doing the same.

Jane screamed out a shrilling, high-pitched snarl. The sound made everyone jump, even the disciplined guard surrounding her. Everyone moved but the ancients, the three of them didn't even glance up at her. Alec, caught her arm to stop her as she prepared herself to spring... she'd be no good in a fight anyway. Bella would keep the shield in place whilst I teared her apart in mere seconds.

The Romanians started chuckling to themselves in sheer happiness. "I told you this was our time," Vladimir said to Stefan.

"Just look at the witch's face," Stefan chortled.

Alec consoled his twin, patting her shoulder soothingly, and then he tucked her under his arm and hugged her to his body. Then he looked up, his face eerily calm.

His gift wasn't what I expected, there was no stabbing against my shield, or tremendous pressure like what Jane had exerted. Instead, his gift came in the form of a clear, hazy mist. Tumbling over the snow in light waves.