Chapter 15: Thrill Rides

I guessed things were going to get worse like Jake had said. I woke up that morning to find him gone, a note left on his pillow saying that he was busy today and had made plans that he couldn't get out of, that he was sorry and wished he could stay. I screwed it up and threw it in the trash, rolling my eyes as I did so. He could have just told me last night.

Considering that my only job was to make sure Bella was safe and to take my mind off of Embry, I decided to be a creeper and follow her today. Though that turned out bad when I followed her truck and she ended up at Jake's house. Just my luck.

It was then I realised that she was his previously made plans and he had ditched me this morning without a goodbye for her. Maybe last night he meant that he would make things worse for me...

Anyway, I watched as they loaded their death machines up onto Bella's truck, Jake lifting them with ease. I realised that she was doing this to get back at Edward. He told her not to do anything reckless and here she was, learning to ride a motorbike. She felt that defying him would make him come back and stop her.

So this morning's course of events had led me to running along side Bella's truck, hidden by the trees as I listened in to Bella and Jake's conversation. Invading privacy, yeah I know, but I couldn't help it. "If I told you, I couldn't fix these bikes, what would you have said?" Jake asked, I could tell by his voice that he was trying to figure something out.

"Are you doubting your mad skills?" Bella answered his question with a question, doubtfulness in her voice.

"No, definitely not." He boasted, chuckling lightly. "They'll run fine, it's just... Err... Maybe if I was smart I would've dragged out the rebuild a bit."

Oh... So he was low key telling her he liked her. Good to know. I'll just ignore the stabbing pain in my heart right now. Stupid really, when I'm meant to be trying with Ryan again.

"If you told me you couldn't fix these bikes I would say that that's... really too bad but we're just gonna have to find something else to do." Bella answered and Jake let out a relived laugh, happy with her answer. "Is that Sam Uley?" Bella asked and I shot my head to the left seeing the whole crew standing by the cliffs.

The wind was blowing across the coast towards me, bringing the boys' weird scents with them. They weren't like normal human scents, each individual but with a strange earthy, dirt smell mixed in with them, kind of like animals.

"Yep, him and his cult." Jake told her just as I watched my brother and Paul push Jared over the edge.

I hope he drowns. He can take Sam down with him too.

"Oh my god." Bella mumbled as she skidded to halt on the side of the road. She quickly climbed out of her car and jogged over to the look out. "Did you see that?"

Jake climbed out after her, laughing. "They're not really fighting Bella, they're cliff diving. Scary as hell but a total rush." He explained just as Paul jumped over the edge.

"Rush?" Bella repeated the words and I closed my eyes in annoyance. Please tell me she's not that stupid.

"Most of us jump from lower down. We'll leave the showing off to Sam and his disciples." He mocked glaring at them as I felt my heart pang with hurt.

"Is there some kind of beef with them or something?" Bella asked as she crossed back over the road. "Jesse, he's one of them isn't he?"