Mitche's heart of diamonds

It was the year 2002, Mitch stood nervously by a fence, facing two kids in his class who were picking teams for basketball.Mitch hated basketball, but it was still nerve-wrecking waiting to get picked.He knew like always he would be the last kid picked.His heart still sunk a little though when he was the last kid.Scott smiled at him though and clapped him on the back.

"hey, if I get the ball, i'll pass it to you" Scott said still grinning Mitches way.Mitch blushed, Scott was such a cute kid, and funny too he thought.After spending a few minutes running up and down the court chasing the ball, he was caught off guard when the ball was passed to Scott.

"Mitch, catch!" Scott yelled while throwing the ball in his direction. Mitche's heart raced as the ball came flying his way, Mitch held out his hands but lost his nerve and seconds before the ball was in reaching distance, Mitch closed his eyes and turned his head.The ball smacked him in the face, and Mitch fell to the ground his head in his hands sobbing as the pain set in.

Mitch could hear a swirl of voices around him. First laughter then,"who even let him play?, he cant even catch the ball" said one voice."I'm glad he's not on our team!" jeered another. "guys stop!, he's hurt, look" said one he recognised.he heard running and then Scott was kneeling down beside him, one arm thrown over his shoulders. "Scott what are you doing?, that kid is GAY, everyone knows it!" said one particularly obnoxious boy. "SHUT UP!"Scott shouted."god why cant you guys just leave him alone!"."c'mon Mitch"Scott said as he hauled Mitch up and the two boys  left the court.The jeers and insults following them until they couldn't hear them anymore.

Mitch was still sniffling as they both reached a wall and sat down, their legs dangling over the edge."You okay?" Scott said looking at the slim boy, his head down shoulders slumped, all Mitch did was shake his head while looking at the ground.Scott rummaged in his pocket until he found a semi-clean hanker chief."here" he said holding it out to the boy with the tear stained face."thanks" Mitch mumbled as he hastily dried his eyes, still looking at the ground.

"you know... those guys are such jerks, they don't even know what their talking about, you shouldn't let them get to you" said Scott, his head tilted, concern washing out his features, still trying to get a response from Mitch.Mitch looked up at Scott then, a smile playing at the edges of his mouth, he nodded."yeah i know i shouldn't"he said  quietly as he cast his eye back over to the basketball court, the boys still playing.

"Oh hey are you going to CATS tonight by the way?"Scott asked with renewed excitement, a smile lighting up his face.This time Mitch did smile back."yeah, we're starting charlie and the chocolate factory tonight "."yeah!, I hope i get Charlie"said Scott.Mitch laughed at the blonds enthusiasm

" of course you will, you look exactly like the kid in the movie"Mitch replied. "And your really good at singing too...i guess" said Mitch bashfully,a blush colouring his cheeks."You think?!" said Scott, his voice infused excitement."I hope you get Mike TV, that would be peeerrfect"

----------------------------------------------

The sun began to set in the neighbourhood as Scott and Mitch made their way home. "hey Scott?"asked Mitch just as they were approaching his house. "yeah?"

"just....thanks"

"Thanks for what?"Scott asked, his face clouded in confusion.

"For you know,....for what happened on the basketball court".Scott looked momentarily concerned before a smile lit up his face again, and Mitche's spirit.

"No need to thank me , I will allllwwaaayys be there for you Mitch"Mitch blushed again looking up at the tall blond. "you better get used to it!" Scott called as he ran up to his front door. Mitch laughed.

"bye Scott" he called waving,a smile radiating from him, the word always still echoing in his mind.