Chapter Three

It isn't until my parents are gone that I realize I'll miss them. I sit alone in my dorm, curled up on the couch with a warm soda in my lap. Mom and Dad helped set up all the decorations and details, not leaving until everything was in place, even my stuffed closet. And the whole time, I was secretly hinting that it was time for them to go. It wasn't just because they were still fawning over Wesley and his golden heart. I wanted to finally taste the freedom everyone speaks so highly of.

The thing is, freedom isn't nearly what it's cracked up to be. I flick the side of my pop can, listening to the fuzzy bubbles as they fizz. Elizabeth and Rebecca are both gone, each visiting friends I don't know. Rebecca invited me to come along, but she is visiting her brother, who apparently lives with Lex. And there was no way that was happening.

When a sharp knock comes at the front door, my stomach tingles slightly. It reminds me of yesterday when Mike and Lex showed up at my dorm. Lex, tall and handsome and intelligent. The knock rings again, finally setting me into motion.

"One second!" I yell. I set my pop can on the desk and quickly pull out some text books, as if I would ever study them before the start of school.

I hop over some of Rebecca's boxes, which still litter the living room, and peek through the eyehole. Immediately, I cringe and regret calling out to the knocker. I should've known it'd be Wesley, here to make me even more miserable than I already feel. A loud sigh escapes my lips, but if Wes hears it, he doesn't seem to care. He remains at the door, soppy smile on his face, with a takeout bag in his hands.

"Hi Wes," I say, opening the door a crack.

Wes tries to move inside, but when he sees I'm not moving, he awkwardly pulls to a stop.

"Thought you could use some company," says Wes, still smiling. "It's weird without our parents here, right?"

"I'm studying," I say.

"Studying what?" asks Wes with a laugh. "Class doesn't start for a few days."

"Well, I'm just trying to stay ahead," I say, running a hand through my short hair. Then, realizing it probably looks stupid, I try to flatten it again.

"I brought your favorite," says Wes, his voice slightly sing-song. He holds up the bag, and for the first time, I realize it's Noodle Express—my favorite.

I purse my lips together. It's nearly six o'clock, which means I'll need to eat soon. If I don't take up Wes on his offer, I'll be stuck eating a Cup o' Noodles. The scent of fried rice tickles my nose, basically making up my mind for me.

"Fine," I say, stepping back to let Wes into the room. "But only for a little while."

Wes bobs into the room, taking his time looking at our mismatched decorations. My roommates and I each threw something into the mix to "add character," according to Rebecca. In my opinion, it all looks ugly and disorganized, like we really should of figured out our plans before getting to college.

"Where are your roommates?" asks Wes. He drops onto the couch and props his legs on one of Rebecca's boxes.

"Visiting friends," I say.

"And they didn't invite you?" asks Wes as he tears open his bowl of teriyaki noodles. "That's rude."

"They invited me," I say shortly.

I drop into the seat beside Wes, scooting to the opposite side, so that our arms don't touch. His overpowering cologne smells like a new car, totally ruining my chicken-rice bowl. Still, it makes me think back to our relationship, to all the times I teased him about taking a bath in pine needles. It wasn't even a funny joke, but the two of us could laugh about it for minutes on end.