Chapter Thirty-Three

By the time Rebecca and I get back to our dorm, it's just after one in the morning. I settle into the couch and hug my knees to my chest, still laughing from my adrenaline high. Rebecca tosses a bag of popcorn into the microwave and sags into the seat behind me.

"That was fun," says Rebecca.

My phone starts to vibrate for the second time since we've reached Miller Hall, and just like the first time, it's Lex. His name and picture (him making a goofy face at a Denny's restaurant) flash across my phone. But just like the first time, I press ignore.

"I think he knows," I say glumly. "I think he saw us.

"No way," says Rebecca. "You don't know that. It could just be a booty call."

I turn to glare at her, but my systems are singed with giddiness, making it impossible to take her words to heart. A bubbling laugh instead erupts from my mouth.

"You really don't think he knows though?" I ask, once again becoming solemn.

"Who cares?" asks Rebecca. "I mean, yeah, he's probably figured we're the most likely suspects. But the damage has been done, baby. Nothing he can do about it now."

"Except make us clean it up," I say. Then, my eyes bulge. "Or call the cops and report us."

"Oh yeah, Addie, because your lover is totally going to call the cops on you," says Rebecca with a sarcastic laugh.

"Ew, don't call him that," I say with a pealed snort.

"Well what should I call him then?" asks Rebecca. She leans forward onto her elbows and gives a maniacal grin. "Sweetie bear? Pumpkin? Sugar lips?"

Rebecca!" I squeal. "Those are all awful—"

A harsh knocking comes at the door, causing both Rebecca and me to flinch. We stare at each other with widened eyes and frozen mouths. Only when the knock comes again to we come back to life.

"Oh my gosh," whispers Rebecca. "Do you think that's the police?"

"Shut up," I hiss back. "That's not even funny."

"It's kind of funny," says Rebecca with a quick wink.

The knock comes again, this time a little louder.

"Go answer it."

"I'm not going to answer it," I say. "You answer it."

"Oh my God," says Rebecca through a too-loud pitch of laughter. "We're like that weird couple that never hangs up the phone."

"What?" I ask.

"Oh just go answer the door," says Rebecca, shoving at my arm. "You know it's your boyfriend. Go make kissy face."

I suck in a deep breath through my teeth and tiptoe to the door, peeking out the peep-hole before sighing. It's Lex, standing in a blue hoodie and khaki pants, looking as fine as ever. Just as he raises his fist to knock again, I slide the door open, peering out with only one eye. The silly high of adrenaline is back, encouraging me to play up my confusion.

"Oh, hey Lex," I say, feigning a yawn in the middle of my sentence. "What's up?"

"Don't act all innocent," says Lex, his voice rough but a playful smile on his face.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I say, yawning again.

"You're such a liar," says Lex, the same smile still on his face. "An adorable liar, but a liar nonetheless."

For a moment, my facade wavers and a smile threatens to expose me, but I quickly clear my throat.

"Did I do something?" I ask. Another yawn—probably too many, but I can't seem to help myself now.

"I don't know," says Lex with a shrug. "But there's a mess of toilet paper in my front lawn, and if I'm remembering correctly, I think I saw a very familiar car fleeing the scene of the crime."

"Toilet paper?" I ask. "I don't know who that was, but it definitely wasn't me. I've been here with Rebecca. We're watching a movie. Wanna join?"

Lex grabs my face with both hands and kisses me, not once but three times, quick and fast. By the third one, we're both laughing.

"Are you mad?" I ask with a nervous giggle.

"Not even a little," says Lex. "But if Mike asks, it was one of his ex-girlfriends, so it's his job to clean it up."

"Sounds fair to me." I offer my hand to Lex, and he shakes it with a bemused grin.

We stare at each other, glancing at the other's mouth and giving each other a look that should be saved for the bedroom. I can't help it, I feel like I haven't seen him in weeks, and right now, I just want him to hold me securely in his arms.

A sudden, uncomfortable cough reminds me that we're not alone. I turn slowly to see Rebecca, wrinkling her nose at us with a quirked mouth. She pops a piece of popcorn between her lips and leans back into the couch.

"Should I leave?" she asks. "Give you two some alone time?"

The way she says it, I'm pretty sure she knows we've had sex. I can just tell. Either she figured it out on her own—like an odd sixth sense—or Lex told her. Surprisingly, I don't really care at the moment. I just wish she actually would leave.

"Sorry, Becks," says Lex. He weaves around me, catching me by the hand at the last moment and tugging me toward the couch. "We'll try to contain ourselves." A quick wink to me. "No promises though."

Rebecca sticks out her tongue. "I can't decide if you two are adorable or completely disgusting."

"I like to think a little of both," says Lex, glancing toward me.

"Definitely disgusting," says Rebecca. She springs from the couch, taking the popcorn with her. "I'll be in my room. Try not to be too loud."

My cheeks flush, and I instantly wonder if I've been loud in the past. What if I'm a screamer or a moaner or a groaner and I don't even know it?

"Wait Rebecca," says Lex, stretching out his arm to stop her. She turns back to face him, but he only gives her a teasing smile. "Can you at least leave the popcorn?"

Rebecca smacks his arm and hugs the bowl of popcorn closer to her chest. She gives us a final eye-roll before marching out of the room, shutting her door with a little more force than necessary.

"Sorry for crashing your movie night," says Lex.

"Sorry for destroying your yard."

"Apology accepted," says Lex, pecking me on the mouth. Then, he leans forward again, tangling his hands through my hair and pulling me closer to his body. I flick my tongue into his mouth, enjoying the warmness and the scent of cinnamon. Even though it's past one in the morning, I feel oddly alive and awake, ready to stay up the rest of the night.

We pull away to catch our breath, and Lex glances toward the computer screen.

"So, what movie are we watching?" he asks, running a hand over the top of his head.

"Movies are overrated," I say before pulling him back in for a kiss. 

A/N: Thanks so much for reading--only one chapter left! Don't forget to vote and comment:)