Chapter Ten

"You guys have to come," says Rebecca. She kneels beside the couch, resting one hand on my knee and the other on Elizabeth's. "It's the first major party of the year."

"On a Tuesday," I say, stretching an eyebrow. "I have an eight o'clock class in the morning."

"Oh c'mon, Addie," says Rebecca. She shakes my knee, but then quickly moves her attention to Elizabeth. "You'll come, won't you?"

"I don't know," says Elizabeth, and she bounces her shoulders. "I was kind of hoping to stay in tonight."

Now, Rebecca groans. "You can't be serious," she says, letting her eyes roll dramatically. "You've been out every night since you got here."

Elizabeth straightens slightly, puffing out her large chest. She's wearing a low-cut tank top and tight jeans, a party-ready outfit. Honestly, Elizabeth has no reason not to go out, which makes me think Rebecca might be right. Maybe Elizabeth simply doesn't like us, doesn't want to be our friends.

I, on the other hand, have every reason to stay in our dorm. The terrifying dream from last night still lingers beneath my skin, itching and stretching with discomfort. I've never been to a high school party, let alone a college one, and there's a good chance my anxiety will flare if I go. My medication isn't cut out for high doses of alcohol, which means I could have any sort of reaction.

Besides, unlike most college kids, I don't have the desire to drink until my body is more alcohol than blood. Acting stupid and making a fool of myself are not factored into my plans for the University of Montana. But a quiet night of studying and watching Netflix? Yeah, that sounds perfect.

"I can't believe you two are making me go by myself," says Rebecca. She finally drops her hands from our knees and gets off the floor. Her face is clean of makeup and she's currently in sweats, just like she has been all day.

"You won't be alone," I say as she pouts into her bedroom. "You'll have the boys."

"Yeah, like they'll hang out with me," says Rebecca. "Mike will be trying to hook up with someone, and Lex...well, who knows what he does at parties. He'll probably skulk in the corner with a beer."

Even though Rebecca doesn't say anything about Lex hooking up with a random, pretty girl, that's where my mind suddenly falls. I imagine his beautiful eyes devouring a short girl with large curves and shiny red hair. In my mind, they're out on the dance floor, grinding against one another and making out between songs.

"I'm sure they won't ditch you," says Elizabeth. She perches her iPad on the coffee table and starts browsing through the Netflix selections. The only movies she pauses to consider are strange-looking wagon trail romances.

Mike's sharp knock—caused by his foot, rather than his hand—slams at the door. He calls to Rebecca, and then breaks off, whispering just loud enough for me to hear his muffled speech. I instantly press my hands to my hair. Mike and Lex weren't supposed to come up here. I haven't even brushed my hair, let alone put on a bra and cute clothes.

"Can someone get that?" asks Rebecca.

Elizabeth lets out a gurgled sigh, but she pulls herself off the couch and slinks toward the door. She swings open the door, returning to the couch before saying a word to Mike or Lex.

"Hi Mike," I offer as he sashays into the room. Lex isn't far behind him, but I'm afraid I'll blush if I greet him.

"You guys coming?" asks Mike. His eyes first glance over Elizabeth and then me, seemingly unimpressed by the both of us.

"No," says Elizabeth. "We're staying in for a movie night."

"Not big on partying?" asks Lex. He's looking directly at me, his golden brown eyes warm and molten with interest.