Chapter 30

Opening night is finally here! I'm so happy that we get to finally perform to the public. Plus I feel like the show will come nicely together since everything is full out tonight. Once I got to the theater, I was rushed into hair and makeup since I have to be green. Marie stood next to me, making sure I didn't lose my head before the show. After about an hour of hair and makeup, I got dressed into my first outfit for the show. Marie then said "Okay Elphaba, let's start your vocal warm up." I nodded and began. She started to call out notes and I responded with my singing voice. High notes, low notes, everything. Then Marie and I both realized that I had an hour before the show started. So I just started reading my lines quietly in my room until the called 10 minutes.

"Breathe... everything is going to be fine." said Marie. "I'm so nervous... What if I mess something up?" I said worriedly. Marie sighed "There is nothing to be nervous about. You have practiced your ass off and know everything in this play. You can do this." I nodded. Hopefully she is right. Besides I have worked my butt off and I'm ready to perform. Suddenly, there was a knock at the door. Marie tapped my shoulder and went to go answer the door. When Marie opened the door, a familiar voice flooded my ears. I exclaimed "JOE! KEVIN!" as I ran to them. They both gave me the biggest hugs. I asked "What are you guys doing here? I didn't know you were into this stuff!" They both laughed. Kevin then said "Well... We came for Nick, but we are here for you too!"My smile slowly faded when I heard Nick's name. I still don't know how I'm going to explain my feelings too him. I whispered "Oh... That's great... Thanks for coming." Joe said "So when are you going to tell Nick?" I looked up confused. I stared blankly at him "Tell Nick what?" He smiled "That you still love him..." Joe knew what was in my head... I asked everyone but Joe to leave the room. Once Marie shut the door behind her, I questioned him "How can you tell that I still love him?" He smirked "Gabby, it is kind of obvious. Plus, Nick tells us how you act at practice and it seems like him being there is killing you because you still love him so much.... And because of his stupidity you don't want too because you're scared." There was a moment of silence in the room. He is right. I do want him back but with everything he has done, I'm scared to. He sighed, then continued "Look, I will always be good friends with you and that includes me being honest with you. I know he has done some stupid things, but he is done with everything this time. After you left that day, all he did was go deeper into depression because he knows he messed everything up." I sat down, and started "I don't have a lot of time Joe, but all I can tell you is that you're right, but don't tell him... I will..." Will I? Joe smiled "You will? When?" I stood up "I haven't gotten that far yet." I heard the stage manager yell for 5 minutes. "Joe, you need to go take your seat... the show is starting and I need to go..." Joe nodded and said his goodbyes. Okay instead of focusing on Nick, I need to focus on this play.

Marie barged in my dressing with my microphone. She placed the microphone carefully onto me and I bolted out the door. I met the actress who played Nessa behind stage, to prepare for the first scene we were in. I heard the rest of the cast sing 'Dear Old Shiz' and got into the zone. I pushed the wheelchair out onto the stage and got the biggest applause that I have heard in a really long time. I smiled and continued with my lines. The show moved quickly. My nerves turned into adrenaline. I wasn't worried until 'Fiyero' (Nick) entered on stage and ran me over with his cart. I yelled my line and then ran off stage. Then I got prepare for the next scene... I don't have time to worry about him right now. The next thing I know we are already through with singing 'Popular' and already trying to save a baby lion. I 'used my magic' and yelled to Fiyero (Nick) "Come on!" and we both bolted off stage with the caged baby lion. We continued the next scene as we practiced. Then we touched and awkwardly stared into each other's eyes. I continued with my lines and then started to sing 'I'm Not That Girl'. As I sang the lyrics, memories of when I lost Nick took over my mind. I can't lose him... I can't go through it again. The song ended and the show continued. The rest of the first act was blurry. I came down from the air and went straight to my dressing room for touch ups for my makeup before act two started.