Chapter 49

GABBY POV

We all sat a long table. The food was delicious. Everyone was there: My mom, Nick's parents, Joe, Kevn, Frankie, Nick and I. So far there hasn't been too much conversation, but what they have said has been friendly. Nick and I held hands as the group started to actually talk to one another. I was nervous. No I wasn't nervous, I was terrified. I haven't seen my mom in so long and now she is sitting across from me talking to my fiancé and his family. I hardly know her and she hardly knows me. I'm freaking out! So many questions are being tossed around the room and it is nerve wracking. Nick felt how anxious I was and held my hand tighter. I flashed a smile at him and continued to listen to our parent's converse. "So Mrs. Stevens, what do you think of our kids getting married?" Mrs. Jonas asked politely. My mom smiled, "I think it's great! I'm really excited for them." A sigh of relief came over me. I really didn't talk to my mom about Nick and I's relationship and never really explained to her what has been going on. Whatever! It was a good answer! I nodded at her to thank her. She nodded back and said, "Mrs. Jonas, let me help you with the dishes." Mrs. Jonas thanked her and they both grabbed a few plates and headed to the kitchen. Kevin, Joe, Nick, and I all started laughing. Frankie looked at all of us confused, "What are you all laughing about?" Joe and I could hardly speak. Kevin murmurs through his laugh "Nothing... haha nothing at all." Frankie just shrugged and went to go watch T.V. The thing was that we weren't laughing at what anyone said, we were laughing out all the stress that we had. Both Joe and Kevin knew how nervous I was, so whatever I felt, they felt too. Nick and I just melted into each other as we both felt relieved that everything was going well.

Joe, Kevin, Nick, and I decided to go join Frankie. Everyone took their own seat while Nick and I cuddled on the love seat. Frankie wanted to watch 'Parks and Recreation' He was already on the last season. I laid my head on Nick's shoulder as we both slowly fell asleep.

MARY COLE (Gabby's mom) POV

Mr. Jonas, Mrs. Jonas and I were having a wonderful time. At first, I could feel Gabby's anxiety in the room, but everything kept going smoothly and according to plan. We both sat in the kitchen and talked out our kids future and what we would think their kids names would be. We both laughed along with the silly names we came up with. Mrs. Jonas hesitated, "So Miranda-" I interrupted her nicely, "Please, call me Mary." I flashed a smile. She continued, "Mary... I hate to offend you or anything, but I was wondering... I mean you don't have to answer if you don't want to, but... Why did you disappear?" I sat for a moment. I wasn't sure if I should share that information. It's a bit personal. I sighed "Well, after my husband passed away... I... I felt very lonely. So, I decided that Gabby didn't need that pressure on her so I left. Then I started the Hotel Café, hoping that it would keep me busy and not thinking about what had happened. Plus, I didn't think Gabby would be in LA at all. I was hoping she would go to New York with her other boyfriend, but he turned into a psychopath so, I don't blame her for coming here." Mrs. Jonas put her hand on top of mine, "It's completely understandable, but I'm so glad you're here now and in her life. She really dose need you." I nodded, "I know, but I just feel like I'm out of her life now. I see that she wants me to be a part of it but I'm not sure if that's the best for her." Mr. Jonas handed us cups of coffee and said, "I think it would be good to get closer to her now, considering she is getting married. Plus, it might be best to get close now cause there will be a ton of family events and different wedding details that she is going to want to swing by you, like her wedding dress." He was right! I definitely want to be there for her. He sat down next to his wife. I missed that. Sitting by the person, you love. I started to tear up. I miss him so much. Mrs. Jonas asked, "Mary? Are you okay?" I nodded and excused myself to go to the bathroom. I cleaned up my face and walked back towards the kitchen.

Mr. and Mrs. Jonas joined the family in the family room where they were watching T.V. I noticed that Nick and Gabby were fast asleep on the couch. I couldn't help, but smile. Seeing her happy was amazing. I know when I left her, she was upset. Now she was happy and I can't wait to be a part of her life. She reminds me of when Charles and I were engaged. We use to go on cute dates, fall asleep next to each other... hold each other's hands. I leaned over to where Mrs. Jonas was sitting, "I'm going to head out if that's okay..." She nodded and walked me to the door, "Thank you for coming! It was so nice meeting you and if you ever need anything then please let me know." We exchanged numbers and I headed back to the Hotel Café to distract me for the rest of the day.

GABBY POV

I slowly woke up from a long nap. Nick was still half-asleep next to me and it looks like everyone else was just finishing the eighth episode of 'Parks and Recreation'. I looked around to find that Mr. and Mrs. Jonas joined us, but no sight of my mom. Mrs. Jonas smiled once she realized I was up, "Hey! How was your nap?" I smiled and said, "Fine... Do you know where my mom might be?" She got up and hinted at her to follow her to the kitchen. Oh no... Did they fight? They didn't get along? I was so sure they did after they talked into the kitchen. Maybe my mom said something offensive. We both sat at the table and Mrs. Jonas sighed, "Well... your mom left after she saw you two asleep. She wanted to say goodbye but didn't want to wake you." I nodded. That makes sense. I asked, "Oh... Did you two get along?" She smiled again, "Yes, quiet nicely! We had a very nice chat while you all were watching T.V. Yet, she seemed a little upset for some reason, I don't really know what about..." I'm so happy that they are getting along. This is making my day, but why is she upset? I hope she is feeling okay. I grabbed my phone and sent a quick 'thank you for coming' text to my mom. I smiled and excused myself from the kitchen to go see what Nick was up too.

By the time I walked into the family room Nick was up and talking to his brothers. Joe looked at me, "Look who finally decided to join us." We all started laughing and continued the conversation. At one point Nick decides to talk about staying the night here tonight. I looked at him to see if he was serious and he was. I whispered, "Are you sure you want to stay here tonight?" He nodded 'yes' and continued, "Joe, Kevin and Frankie are staying here too." I nodded in agreement with him. I feel uncomfortable staying in a room close to his parents, but I guess there is a first for everything. We will see how this goes.