Twenty

Well, I sorta made it on time, but not really. I haven't slept yet, so for me it's still only Wednesday! Enjoy! :D

* This chapter may contain grammatical errors and typos, *

* * * * * * *

Jay

"Y-yes," he mumbled silently. That boy has some guts. If it were me in his situation, I wouldn't have probably gone to hell denying the accusation with all my heart. I look up to Tom for having the courage to come out despite how his parents were already acting.

My eyes immediately detached themselves from Tom's father who had just barged in the room to stare at Tom with my eyes wide open in surprise. I didn't know what was going to happen next, but I started to cower into myself just incase things got physically violent.

"I'm one of those people you call a faggot," he stated more clearly. His eyes darted to me and I immediately knew what he was going to say. I shook my head slightly not wanting to be the next center of attention. "And Jay, here," he began and I instantly wanted to melt into the ground. Tom let out a deep sigh. He was trembling. "He's my boyfriend."

I kind of wanted to smack him upside the head, but I was touched by the fact that he introduced me as his boyfriend. It wasn't the best situation to reveal everything to his parents, but I took some joy in hearing that. I wasn't just the roommate anymore. I was someone who was, or is, romantically involved with Tom.

"What?" his father bellowed. I think I saw some steam rising from his head.

Being Hispanic, his family was very religious. They were hardcore Catholics and I imagine they were also completely against homosexuality. I looked at his mom though, but she didn't have a hateful look on her face. I guess she was still in shock about what Tom had just told them.

"T-Tom, you're gay?" his mom whispered in disbelief. Tom stepdad walked closer until he stood close to them.

"No son of mine is a faggot," his stepdad, whose name I still don't know, spat. There was a sudden loud 'smack' reverberating throughout the kitchen. My eyes couldn't believe what they were seeing when Tom's dad cradled his throbbing cheek in his hand. I bet that hurt, even for Jessica who slapped him.

"Don't call him that, Robert!" she yelled, furious at him directing that word towards her son.

"He's gay, Jessica, a faggot. He's a goddamn cocksucker!" he yelled towards her.

I saw Tom drowning in his fear and I was immediately on my feet to run towards him and give him any comfort I could offer. I wrapped an arm around his waist and I felt him lean his body against mine. I took his hand in my other one. He was still trembling in fear, but it didn't seem to be as bad as a few minutes ago.

"Shut up!" She yelled. She sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose with her thumb and forefinger, closing her eyes. She was conflicted about how to deal with the situation and neither Tom nor I know what was going through her head. "Tom," she began. That seemed to put both of us on the edge of our toes. "Maybe you should leave for now," she said calmly. Sighing as she finished. "Your father and I need to talk."

Tom tense, but what his mother had said didn't really give us any idea about how she felt. It brought even more suspense and worry towards us and it made us reluctant to leave. I gave Tom's hand a light tug, causing him to look at me. I couldn't even imagine how he felt at that moment, but I just tightened my hold on his hand in hopes of giving him more strength. He tried to give me a small smile, but I can see in his eyes that he was dying.

We left the kitchen, leaving his parents to talk about what was going on. With Tom's bag in his hands. We stepped out of the house and into my car. That was when Tom broke down in small sobs. He was terrified of what was to come and didn't want to think about losing his family. I hung my arm around his shoulder and pulled him over to me across the center console of the car. He buried his face in my chest as he cried. I tried my best to comfort him by rubbing his back and kissing the top of his head, but I knew that those probably weren't enough.