Twenty One

Weeelllll... I'm a bit late again, but at least it's not like a week late or anything! Enjoy! :)

* This chapter may contain grammatical errors and typos. *

* * * * * * *

Jay

"Alright, boys," my mom announced as she stood up. "Go ahead and turn the TV off. It's dinnertime."

It was perfect timing though, since I could feel my stomach grumbling as she announced it. My dad grabbed the remote and promptly turned the television off. I gently pulled away from Tom's arms so I could stand up. To my surprise, there were already plates laid out on the dining table. I didn't even know when they fixed it.

Tom followed after me and got up from the couch. We all walked the short distance from the living room to the dining area as a group. Once we were there, Tom and I took seats that were right next to each other while my parents went to the kitchen area to grab the still-warm food.

Pork chops!

It's been a while since I've had my mom's pork chops and I knew that Tom was in for a real treat. This was my favorite dish from my mom and she never makes it frequently. Along with it, my dad held a bowl of mashed potato and a boat full of gravy. My mom had to make a second trip back to the kitchen to get a serving bowl of rice too for anyone who felt like eating some. With that, dinner was ready.

As always, my parents allowed us to serve ourselves first, but I went ahead and serve both me and Tom. I placed a pork chop for each of our plate, a dollop of mashed potatoes, and a splash of gravy. I also served myself some rice and as I was about to put some on Tom's plate, he waved his hand and shook his head.

"No rice for me, thanks," he said, smiling at me.

"Are you sure?" I asked, raising and eyebrow.

"Yeah. I'll just grab some later if I end up wanting some," he smiled again and placed a quick kiss on my cheek as I put the rice bowl back at the center of the table. I heard my mom 'aw', causing me to look up at them. They were both watching us endearingly.

"You guys are so cute," my mom squealed, starting to serve herself some food.

I felt my cheeks heat up and I looked down at my plate to avoid their gaze. I didn't like being the center of attention of many people at the same time. I was already used to having people focus their attention on something else and avoid me.

We all ate dinner happily as we chatted about stuff that were going on back in Berkeley. They asked about how our studies were and we responded with expected answers. All three of us struggled at times but we also help each other relax and relieve some stress when it gets too much. My parents didn't have to know about our partying habits, which wasn't that bad, but I doubt they'll approve any type of partying.

Honestly, we've only been to two parties and only one of them ended up badly. That was probably because the second one was a house party that way too many people attending. The other party was just a small gathering of no more than twenty people. It was more like a dinner party between a group of friends, I guess.

We also skipped the stuff about Tiffany and how she almost killed me. Well, my parents knew about it, but they didn't have to know that it was Tom's ex-girlfriend's fault. It didn't matter anymore anyway, but now we were all more alert about what went into our food.

After dinner, my dad helped Tom turn the sofa into a bed. They removed all the cushions and put them off to the side so they can pull out the built-in mattress underneath. I just sat down somewhere out of the way and watched them work.