Twenty Two

Jay

I was so ecstatic that everything went well between Tom and his mom. I'm pretty sure even I couldn't imagine how happy Tom must be to find out that his mother was going to accept him. I guess we really can't judge people so quickly.

I've always hated confrontation, so even though I really had no idea whether or not my parents were going to be fine with me being gay, I was scared to tell them. I was lucky enough to have it happen accidentally.

I gave Tom and his mom a bit of time to talk to each other privately, so I made a excuse to use the bathroom. We were probably going to leave right after anyway, so I might as well use it now so I won't have to later. I spent a good five minutes in the bathroom before stepping out. Fortunately, they were done discussing by that time.

"I'll see you guys tonight then?" Jessica asked and I nodded as Tom said a 'yeah.'

I waved goodbye and Tom gave his mom a hug when we got to the front door. "Thank you, Mrs. Trujillo," I said, offering her a smile.

"Take care of my son, alright?" she said, returning the smile. "And you take care of your boyfriend!" she told Tom.

Tom and I said another goodbye and climbed into my car. I took his hand and held it in mine. He smiled happily at me before releasing a deep sigh.

"I can't believe it," he said. His smile was turning creepy because his eyes were starting to water. I hooked my hand behind his neck and pulled him down towards me. I hugged him with all my might.

"Well, you should. This is great news!" I exclaimed. He nodded weakly against my neck.

"Besides the fact that my stepdad left. What about my brothers? They're left without their dad," he said sadly. My expression softened.

"Well, yeah, apart from that. But, Tom, isn't this a bit of the stress reliever you were looking for? No more walking around eggshells," I suggested. I couldn't think of any other way or other things to say to comfort him.

"I guess. It also adds on a new burden though. I'm not sure if I can last a long time not telling my brothers that I was the reason why their father left us," he almost whined. I continued to clutch on to his neck. "This is the worst Thanksgiving ever," he mumbled against the crook of my neck. I gently rubbed his back.

"Then let's try to make it better," I said. "C'mon, I want to visit the hospital."

Despite the fact that the hospital was what caused me and Grant to meet each other, I still wanted to visit the volunteers. I know I might just be increasing the chances of meeting Grant again after he left the last time, but I didn't care because I had Tom right by my side.

We left his house briefly and were out on the road in no time. Tom busied himself looking for a good radio station as I drove us to the hospital. The hospital was only a few blocks away from my house so it was going to take some drive. Especially because it was already midday and a lot of traffic was expected.

"Who exactly did you want to meet at the hospital again?" Tom asked, probably not wanting to drop by. He might've been afraid of running into Grant. Not that Grant was any threat to our relationship, but that it might just turn the whole Thanksgiving break sour.

"Well, there's Dayton, the volunteering program coordinator, and a few other volunteers. Don't worry, Tom, I haven't seen Grant since he left last fall. I doubt's we'll see him this time," I assured him.Tom nodded curtly, deciding to let his worries go. There really wasn't anything to worry about anyway.

Well, for me there is. Tom only didn't go out with anyone else other than the bitch Tiffany because he wasn't out yet. Now that he is, who's to say he won't be more comfortable looking at other guys he finds better than me?