Chapter 3

(Y/n) pov

Ally and I were walking down the sidewalk talking the next day.

"So, Demi challenged you. Are you going to play her?" Ally asked.

"I don't know. It's not like I have anything to prove."

"Yeah, I guess. Don't you just want to show him sometimes-" Ally got cut off by a flock of pigeons scattering from the sidewalk by her feet. "What is happening? Last week, I was attacked by a flock of crows!"

"You mean a murder." I corrected.

"What are you talking about?" Ally breathed out, confused.

"More than one crow is a murder. You know, like herd of sheep, school of fish, murder of crows."

"This is why people think you're weird. This exact reason. Right there." She laughed and pushed me a little bit to the side. I laughed before sighing, thinking about the previous topic.

"I do want to show Dan sometimes. Sometimes for my mom...others just for me." I sighed out. She nodded before smirking.

"So, the all knowing (Y/n), what's a group of ravens?" She giggled to herself.

"An unkindness." I smiled and laughed before we kept walking down the street. As soon as I parted ways with Ally, I walked my way to Keith's shop. When I arrived, Keith shooed me out the door with the tow truck key saying I had to help someone who broke down by the mouth of the river, near the lake.

I drove the tow truck to the location of the car and recognized the familiar vehicle with a familiar person. Lauren. Lauren was leaning against her car playing on her phone. She was wearing a the 1975 t-shirt with some light washed skinny jeans that were ripped in a few places. I pulled the truck in front of her car and hopped out. She watched me as I hooked up the car and began slowly lifting the front off the ground. I tried to make conversation but she immediately shut that down before dialing a number and putting her phone to her ear. I walked to the truck and pulled out my clipboard and attached some papers.

"Hey, Demi...it's me." I over heard as I started to fill in information on my clipboard. "Can you come pick me up? My car broke down."

It went silents for a few seconds as I continued to write before I looked back over and saw Lauren looking pissed off.

"So leave the gym. It'll take like 10 minutes. Suck it up. Bye." She hung up before turning to face me.

"Are you sure you have a ride? I mean, I can wait." I offered.

"Yeah, that's what I want." She sarcastically answered. "Whatever, just have your dad call me with an estimate for the cost."

"You mean my uncle?"

"If that's your story." I just backed up and let out a chuckle as she turned the other way to look down the street. I was about to open the door when I thought of something.

"Why are you a cheerleader? No offense but you are not the cheeriest person I know." I hopped in the car when she didn't respond and sat there, waiting for Demi to pick her up. After about an hour I hopped out and saw Lauren sitting in the grass.

"C'mon. Let me give you a ride. I'll let you insult me." I offered and I heard her sigh before standing up. She faced the lake before groaning.

"Why are girls such jerks?"

"Girls or Demi?" I asked.

"Her... and you."

"Well, I don't know. We do share the same father."

"He's kind of an ass. That must suck having to see him around."

"For my mom, yeah."

"So, she told you he was your dad?"

"Eventually." I nodded.

"Demi and I used to play in junior leagues together. I loved it, and I was good at it. You ever have somthing that you knew you were better at then almost anybody else?"

"Cheerleading." She said with a straight face. "Joke." We laughed and I continued when our laughter died down.

"Anyway, people just kept teasing me about it. About how Demi's dad was my dad, too, so I asked my mom and she told me he wasn't. I believed her until I went home and heard her crying in her room. I knew he was then. So I never went back. I told my mom I didn't want to see his face, but it was because...I don't want her to have to." Once I realized what all I told Lauren, I mentally face palmed myself before standing up, since I was leaning against her car. I sighed and walked towards the truck, hearing her footsteps behind me.

"Why did you tell me all that? We barely know each other." She said.

"Maybe that's the point." I sighed and opened the door for her to get in the truck before sliding in the seat myself. Lauren stayed silent the whole way to her house and looked in deep thought. I dropped her off and then dropped the truck off before heading home. Once I was home, I threw on a sweatshirt over my clothes and grabbed my basketball. I walked down the streets while dribbling. I walked right into the gym and saw Demi here, just like I hoped. I threw my ball and hit hers, making it bounce across the gym as mine bounced back to me.

"Tomorrow night, midnight, at the riverfront park." She nodded once to confirm before I continued. "But if I win, I'm gonna want something else." I smirked and walked away. I could feel Demi burning holes in the back of my head. Oh, this is going to be good.

A/N Are y'all liking it so far? Let me know. Comment and vote.