Chapter 20

Lauren's pov

Loud knocks on a door jolted me out of my sleep as I fell to the ground.  I groaned as I rubbed the sleep out my eyes and looked around.  I must have fallen alseep on Demi's couch, since I was fell on the ground next to it.  My thoughts were cut off by more knocking.

"Demi!" I yelled, but realized the knocks were near me on the back door.  I stood up, and saw Ariana waving me over to unlock the door.  I opened it immediately and asked about my car.

"Hey, what's up?" She asked.

"Did you bring my car back?" I asked.

"Your car? Uh, I don't have your car." She said, genuinely confused.

"Demi said you took my car." I told her as Demi ran over and stood behind me.  Ariana's eyes widened and she frantically tried to make a sentence and used hand gestures.

"Oh, um, your car, we, uh, um..." She pointed all around her.

"Nice try. Where the hell is my car?" I asked the two girls.  Ariana shrugged and started playing with her fingers.

-----------

(Y/n)'s pov

I continuously drove the shovel into the ground, digging up more mud.  I heard the front door close and looked up to see my mom.

"You calm enough to talk?" She asked as I jammed the shovel into the mud to stand up.

"I'm sorry I went off. I was pissed and you were in the line of fire." I apologized as I leaned against the tree in our front yard.

"That's usually when the truth comes out."

"Yeah, well, the truth is I'm the reason you never got what you wanted. So, that kind of nullifies my right to complain." I said as I walked towards her and sat on the steps as she followed my action.

"Is that what you think?" She looked at me and I slowly nodded. "I got exactly what I wanted, (Y/n). Everybody seems to think that I'm some kind of victim. I chose this. And if I had to do it over, you and I would still be having this conversation."

"I just hate to see them get away with it, Demi and Dan. They should've helped you out. It's not fair."

"I'm glad he never offered, because at the time, I honestly don't know what I would've said. But I can tell you this much, (Y/n) - if he had been giving us money, he'd have felt entitled to have a say in how you were raised and I think that that would have been a bigger price to pay. You've seen how Demi turned out." She said.

"So, who do you think we should feel sorry for, ourselves or them?" She asked as she took a sip from her coffee.

------

"Hey, you're still alive." Keith commented as I walked into the garage. "I'm guessing you didn't tell your mom about your little crime spree."

"This morning. She's working on my punishment now." I lied.

"Good. You recognize that car over there?" He asked as I turned to see the car he nodded at. "The owner got your note. I talked him out of pressing charges."

"Thanks, Keith."

"Let's just get this done, okay, so we can get back to billing for the work we do."

"You got it." I told him as I turned around when someone walked into the garage, only to see Demi. "What do you want?"

"I, uh, I expect her parents sent her." Keith said.

"You told them?" I asked him.

"You may be willing to let her get away with it, but I'm not. Try not to kill each other." He said and walked away as I walked towards Demi.