Chapter 49

Lauren's pov

I kneeled on the ground outside on the cement to write on a poster for class. I saw Camila walk out the nearest school doors, most likely looking for me since I have been ignoring her all day because of last night. I kept my head low as I focused in on my art poster to hopefully avoid her until I can go home.

"Hey." I heard the very person I tried so hard to avoid speak as she kneeled down next to me. "I've been looking for you all day. Where have you been?"

"Nowhere really." I shrugged and went back to the poster.

"I wanted to talk to you about (Y/n). You left so quick the other night." I stopped my drawing and looked at Camila. "What was that all about?"

"Did she tell you what happened?" I nervously asked.

"We didn't really do much talking after you left," she smirked. "If you know what I mean."

I bit my lip as I swallowed the lump in my throat. "I was just returning the CD I borrowed." I lied and went back to drawing to hide my face beneath my hair.

------------------------------

(Y/n)'s pov

I readjusted my book bag on my shoulders to make it a little more comfortable. I walked the familiar path toward the gym, but saw Zendaya sleeping against a tree near the sidewalk. I chuckled to myself and strolled over to the sleep deprived girl. I lightly kicked her leg, and her head shot up from its slumped position.

"Late night?" I asked with a laugh.

"Yeah." She groggily mumbled.

"Who's the lucky person?"

"You don't know them." She responded.

"Come on, dude, we're gonna be late for practice." I extended my arm and helped her up.

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion as I saw the team huddled outside the gym by the door. Zendaya and I walked over, and I slipped through the crowd to see the problem. There was a white sheet of printer paper taped to the door in coach's handwriting stating, 'Basketball canceled until further notice.'

Demi stepped up and ripped the sign off the door examining it more closely. As soon as she held the paper in her hands, Coach Smith pushed open the gym door and greeted us.

"Nice to see you vertical." Coach spoke to Demi. "How you feelin'?"

"Same as always." She shrugged. "What's all this about?" She held up the paper.

He sighed before speaking, "Seems to me we've lost track of what this game is supposed to be about. Myself included. Now, I want you to take this time to think about why we are really out there. Until then... no practice." He took the paper from Demi and reposted it back in the door before entering back inside.

"This sucks." Ariana groaned.

"Speak for yourself." Zendaya spoke out before walking away. "Smith just did me a favor."

"Yeah... me too." Demi agreed.

----------

I saw Lauren coming out of the school building so I ran after her before she could get in her car. She had already tossed her book bag in the passenger seat and closed the door by the time I was close enough.

"Lauren! Lauren!" I yelled to hopefully stop her as I ran faster. I quickly stopped when I reached her car door.

"What?" She asked bitterly, refusing to look at me.

"Look, about last night... I feel really bad about-"

"Can we not relive it, please?" She begged as she looked at me. "I'd had this really weird, long day, and I just... probably wasn't making any sense."

"No, you were, but I just- I had no idea you were coming over last night. You know, and Camila and I-"

"Make a really good couple." She interrupted. "I'm happy for you. You're a good person, (Y/n), and she's my best friend."

---------------------------

Lauren's pov

I sprawled out on my bed as soon as I got home and took out my sketch pad doodling random things across the pages. A sudden flash brought me out of my concentration as I whipped my head around to see the disturbance. There Camila stood, my camera in hand and a big, goofy smile spread across her lips.

"What are you doing?" I giggled at my dorky best friend.

"Documenting." She jumped onto my bed next to me. She held the Polaroid picture in her hand. "A day without cheer- Hour one." She captioned.

"There's something wrong with this picture, though." She fake concentrated. "Oh, I know what it is. I'm not in it." She smiled and pulled me closer so we could take a selfie. I smiled for the picture, but once the shutter clicked, I went back to my drawings.

"Would you please draw your freaky drawings later?" She whined. "There is no basketball. We're young, we're gorgeous, we have all this free time, so let's go do something fun."

"What about (Y/n)? I'm sure she'd be up for some fun." I joked. "Probably some Polaroids, too."

"(Y/n)..." she sighed. "The monkey in the room."

"Elephant." I corrected.

"Whatever." She laughed, but then she got serious. "Look, I came to make sure there's no weirdness about that. You're my best friend, and I would never cut you out for a girl or guy. No matter who they are... or how happy they make me."

"Camila, I'm cool with you and (Y/n)."

"Sure?" She asked.

"Yeah. I just want to draw for a little bit. How about a rain check?" I asked. Camila moved her face closer to mine with a concentrated face on, trying to see if I was lying or not. She stopped when we both started laughing.

"Count on it." She nodded her head in satisfaction before speaking, "hos over bros." She fist bumped with me.

"I am going to borrow this, though..." she said as she held the Polaroid camera. "Just in case. Thanks." She concluded before giving me a quick hug and rushing out the house.

I shook my head at her before realizing she left the picture she took of us. I picked it up and examined the picture of us. We've been friends for as long as I can remember. "Hos before bros." I muttered to myself and placed the picture back down, going back to my doodles.

A/N Wow i haven't updated since last year