Chapter 5

(Y/n)'s pov

It was the night of my first game with the Sun and the team was in the locker room getting ready.  I had already changed before they got in here, and I was wearing a tank top with a sports bra underneath, the black uniform shorts with compression shorts underneath, and I was wearing a black pair of basketball shoes they gave me with the uniform.  I saw Demi walk in last and made her way to her locker.  When she put her bag down, she glared at me before I looked away and rested my head against my locker.

"Lovato!" Coach Smith yelled out from his office.  Demi and I both looked at him when he stuck his head out and motioned for me to go in the office.  Half the team was glaring at me as the other half just didn't care.  When I walked in, Smith was sitting on his desk waiting for me.

"You nervous?" He asked.

"Little bit."

"Good. You ought to be. Just keep doing what you have been doing in practice all week and you'll be fine." He said as he handed me my jersey with 'Lovato' on the back.  I nodded and walked out the office and back to the locker room.  I took off the tank top and put on the jersey, so I wouldn't get too hot.

The kids who were the announcers from the park games came up to me as if they were reporters.  They told me they were going to put the game online on 'sunshoops.com'.

"What the hell is going on?" Coach Smith said when he came out his office.

"We are sports announcers." One of the two said.

"Not here you're not. The locker room is closed. No media." He said before walking past them.

"Oh my god. Did you hear that!? We're media!" The two boys freaked out and walked out the locker room.  I walked towards the exit to the gym and stood at the back of the line of my teammates.  We were all getting hyped for the game as Coach Smith started to walk out.

"Let's take the court." He said as he led us out.  Demi came from the front of the line to walk behind me.

"You want my world? Well, you got it."  She smirked.  We started to warmup doing layups or dunks and then jumpshots.  I started to walk to the bench as I passed up some cheerleaders.

"So that's the girl that beat Demi?" I heard an unfamiliar voice. 

"Yeah." I heard Lauren confirm.

"Well, she looks good from behind." I heard the unfamiliar voice again.  I turned around and saw Lauren talking to a girl with a bow in her hair, who was checking me out.  I turned back to face the coach as he was explaining what he wanted to do during the game.  I was starting this game, along with Demi and three others.  Demi went to jump the ball as we lined up around her.  The ref threw the ball up and Demi swat the ball to one of our teammates.  We ran down the court and I moved to the corner.  The ball was being passed to me, but it slipped through my fingers and went put of bounds by the cheerleaders.

"Nice hands." Lauren yelled to me.  I looked at her before responding.

"Nice legs." I smirked and jogged down the court.  I could tell she didn't expect that answer by the way her jaw dropped. 

The girl I was guarding drove past me and made a layup.  We got the ball and drove down the floor and the girl driving passed it off to me.  I shot the ball and it bounced off the back of the rim.  It was like this all night until I got subbed out.  I just couldn't make a shot to save my life.  I walked to the bench and Coach just looked like he understood.

"It's just not your night tonight." He said as he patted my shoulder when I sat down.

-----------------

Demi's pov

Lauren and I were making out in my car after the car, but I just couldn't do it.  I kept breaking the kiss from laughing and Lauren was getting pissed.

"I'm sorry, but did you see how bad she was? I mean, I have never seen someone suck that bad." I laughed.

"And you enjoyed that?" She questioned.

"Hell yeah, didn't you?" She scoffed in response.

"What, Lauren? Do you like her or something?"

"You mean more than my girlfriend who I'm trying to make out with?" She asked back.

"Well, stop. You ever think I might want to talk?"

"No, you don't want to talk. You want to celebrate a public humiliation and it's a little played out."

"And being with you isn't?" I said, but knew I shouldn't have.  Lauren opened the door and got out before walking off.  I punched the steering wheel before sighing and driving off from the riverfront.

When I got home, Dan was watching the film from the game. 

"Demi!" He called from the couch as I walked over. "What is this? What did you do there?"

"I was double-teamed so I found the open girl."

"Wrong. You gave up a scoring opportunity."

"But I was double-teamed! I still made 28 points this game."

"30 points would have looked better to scouts, don't you think? Go to sleep. You looked winded in the fourth quarter. We'll go for a run together in the morning." He said.

"And you wonder why mom extends her business trips." I muttered as I walked past him and up to my room.

------------

(Y/n)'s pov

I was at the riverfront shooting some baskets, all of them misses.

"I guess misery really does love company." I heard and turned around to find Lauren.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"I'm not here. I was never here." She sighed before trying to walk away.

"You know. I shoot the ball and it goes in. I don't ask questions. I don't think about it. It's just the way it is." I said.

"Or the way it was." She said.  I nodded and looked away.

"Yeah." I mumbled.

"Yeah, but who cares if the whole school, most of your friends, and half the town saw you suck?"

"So, clearly, you have come to cheer me up." She smiled. "Do you want a ride?"

We got in my car and I drove her to her house.  When I parked in front, she stopped and looked at me.

"Can I ask you a question?" She asked.

"Shoot."

"Why did you decide to join the team?"

"I love the game." I answered.

"Yeah, but why not just stay on the playground?"

"I wanna know if I'm good."

"I think we just wasted a perfectly good evening. Everyone in there."

"Then why do you do it? Do you even like it?"

"If I say I like it, then I'm another cheerleader. If I say I hate it, then I'm a liar or a fraud. Either way, I lose." She said before stepping out the car.

"Do you wanna come in?" She asked.

"What about Demi?"

"What about her?" She asked.  I got out the car and followed behind here.

"What are you doing?" She asked.

"You just- um." I was so confused.

"I didn't invite you in. I just asked if you wanted to. Thanks for the ride." She said as she closed the door.  I walked back to my car before sitting and staring out the window. This girl is something else. I mean, who does that?  Seriously?

A/N Comment and vote, you awesome people who like my story.