Chapter 36

Ally's pov

I wiped off the now empty table, and took the dishes to the kitchen.  I walked back out to the dining area to set up the napkins.  I heard the bell ring, signaling a new customer, but only rolled my eyes and sighed at the girl.

"We are closed." I told her, completely lying since it was still the middle of the day and other customers were eating lunch.  I could see her confusion as she furrowed her eyebrows and looked around.

"Oh, I get it. Closed to me. I don't blame you." Camila said as she lightly smiled before frowning. "I'd be a total bitch to me, too, after last night."

"Knock yourself out." I sighed and walked toward to a different table, sitting down to refill the salt and pepper shakers.

"Fiesty," she commented as she followed me. "I see why Demi likes you. Look, you are blaming Demi for something I did and that's not fair. Okay, I was drunk, I was pissed, and I found your note, and you know the rest. I wanna make it up to you." She finished.

"By going away?" I sassed and raised an eyebrow, screwing the cap back on the now full salt shaker.

"No," Camila giggled. "By hooking you and Demi up tonight. What's your idea of a perfect date?"

"Watching you get hit by a bus." I replied, still not looking at her since she walked in.

"That sense of humor... Demi is really lucky. She will be here at 7. Have fun." Camila smiled lightly, backing up and out the café.  I groaned and ran my hands through my hair.

------------------------------------

(Y/n)'s pov

I sat down at our kitchen table, looking out the window to see the dark sky and the street lamps turn on.  The answering machine beeped, notifying me that there was an unheard message.  I reached over to the machine and hit play.

"Buon Giorno! I am Marcella Vivani of the Giannino Culinary Institute in Florence. I call for Signorina Karen Lovato."

"When does that 'do not call' list come in?" I ask my mom as she entered the side door with a paper bag full of groceries.

"...scusi, but we haven't heard from you. We sent a letter inviting you to start next week, but we haven't heard a word from-"

The voice was cut off by my mom deleting the message.

"Is that the school you've been talking about like forever?" I ask.

"Yeah."

"Mom, that's great!" I smiled, but she shrugged.

"It's no big deal.  I'm not gonna go." She walked with her bag of groceries to the kitchen counter.

"Mom, it's a big deal. It's a huge deal!"

"Well, maybe I'll just go some other time." She shrugged as she unpacked the bag.

"No, mom, now is the time. C'mon. You have put your entire life on hold for me. Every choice you've made, it's been about me." I reasoned.

"That's the way it's supposed to be. I'm your mother." She laughed.

"It's time for you to do something for yourself. I want you to have this."

"I'll think about it." She sighed.

"Don't think, just do it." I smiled and walked out the kitchen.

---------------------

Camila's pov

I dragged Lauren into the college party, where music could be heard from outside and a mass of young adults scattered the property.

"We're young, we're fine. Let's do some damage." I said as we entered and someone had just poured a drink from the keg, holding it out to me.

"Want some while the supply still lasts?" The college girl asked.

"No thanks, designated driver." I denied.  We walked further into the house and people lined the walls.

"Too desperate." I commented as we walked passed certain people.

"Too geeky." I mentioned.

"Hello, Abercrombie." I smiled at what looked like a model.  I heard Lauren laugh beside me as I made my way toward the model, and she walked off.

--------------------------

(Y/n)'s pov

I shut the door to my car as I made my way to the court.

"She's alive!" I heard Ruby Rose joke as I stepped onto the concrete park court.

"Hey, Ruby." I greeted.

"And she remembers my name." Ruby Rose smiled.

"I'm sorry, have we met? Dianne Guerrero." She held out her hand, faking a first impression.

"Cara Delevigne." She also held out her hand for me to shake.

"Oh, guys, come on. It has not been that long." I groaned as I 'met' my park friends again.

"It feels like forever." Ruby said. "I mean, do you even still play street ball?"

"Better than you." I replied.

"Okay, she's been back two seconds and she already talking smack. Let's see what you got." Ruby handed me the ball.

"All right. Let's shoot for teams." I passed the ball back to her.

"How about you and Cara just take it. You're gonna need it."

"So, it's like that?" I asked.

"Just like that. Now lock her up on defense, please." Ruby told her teammate, Dianne Guerrero.

----------------

"And that ladies and gentlemen is how it's done." I said after Cara and I won.

"Good job, (Y/n)." Ruby patted my shoulder.  I smiled at her and told her the same, but then my phone rang.

"What, so now you bring your phone everywhere you go?" Ruby asked, referring to the time where I didn't bring my phone anywhere, and if someone needed me I would be at the playground court.

"Hell yeah."

"Damn. Things sure have changed." I laughed and smiled.

"Hello?" I asked in a joyful tone.

"(Y/n)!" I heard Camila frantically speak as my smile dropped. "Lauren's in trouble, and I think someone drugged her. She won't wake up!"