Chapter 4

Demi's pov

I went straight home after (Y/n) showed up at the gym. I took a quick shower and put on some pajamas before I walked out the bathroom. My dad came from around the corner and stopped me in my tracks.

"Demi." I turned around to face him.

"Hey, dad." I said as he walked closer and looked at the tattoos on my arm.

"If I wanted a son, I would've adopted one." He said while looking at them.

"What? So you can abandon him, too?" His eyes darted up to mine as he glared at me and I coughed awkwardly. "Ugh, um. It's a joke."

"And this stupid bet with (Y/n). Is that a joke, too? Or would you really quit the team? Because let's be honest, you have everything to lose and nothing to gain."

"Sometimes what you call 'everything' I call 'nothing'."

"I just think it's best if you don't do this, Demi. We can find another way."

"No. Dad, I do a lot of stuff for you- almost everything. But, I am going to do this for me." I said and walked away to my room to get ready for the one on one.

-------

(Y/n)'s pov

At 11:30 I started to make my way down to the park court on the river front. I made it there before Demi, so I decided to shoot around and warm up while the 'commentators' were discussing my 'stats'. It was a minute away from midnight and a large crowd had already gathered around with their car lights shining on the concrete court. About half the crowd was full of my friends and the other half was Demi's. Demi still wasn't here, but I doubt she would back down from this.

A shot another basket or two before I saw Demi's friend pull up as close to the court as possible and Demi stepped out the car, along with Lauren. A few more cars full of Demi's friens pulled up. A ,now, majority of the crowd started chanting Demi's name, but I, honestly, could not care less about who the crowd wants to win. Everyone had gathered to the edges of the court on all sides as they waited for us to start. I shot again, but it rolled off the rim and Demi took it. She was about half court when she tossed the ball up and dunked it off the bounce. The crowd started chanting again as the 'commentators' began stating the rules. It was a 15 point game by ones, make it, take it, win by one.

"Are you ready for this?" Demi asked as she positioned herself a little below the three point line, where I was, between me and the goal.

"Sure, why not."

"It's your life." She said as she squatted into a defensive position.

"Yeah..." I started as I geared up for a shot as soon as she checked the ball back to me, "it is." I faked left and Demi backed up. I immediately pulled up and hit the three. I barely even had to move and I easily hit a twenty-five footer. 1-0.

"Go ahead. I'll give you that all night." She said, thinking I couldn't make it again. This time, as soon as she handed me the ball I shot. No need to fake her out, she asked for it. 2-0. When Demi handed me the ball back, she closed in on me and I smirked.

"What happened to all night?" I asked as her hand was in stretched out to block a shot, if I were to take it again. I tried to dribble around her, but she stole it.

"Is that all you got? If that's all you got, this is over." She said as she drove past me for a layup. 2-1.

Once I got the ball back when she missed, I lost track of score and only relied on the 'commentators' to start freaking out if it was near the end. I dribbled to Demi's right, took a step back and hit a quick jumper. Demi got the ball back soon after and ended up getting a dunk off of the drive. We both shot a lot of threes and quick inside shots.

Demi started to back me down to the goal by dribbling backwards and pushing me back with her. She threw her elbow right into my face and hit a quick shot, only when she saw that I was hit. I heard Ally's concered voice somewhere in the crowd as I held my nose and jaw. I could see Ruby looking pissed and about to come on the court, and It even saw Lauren looking disappointedly at Demi and looking concerned for me. I walked it off for a second before spitting some blood out of my mouth and standing back up. I walked back to Demi, who was standing near the goal.

"No foul. Basket counts." I said with my head held high. Demi smirked and shrugged her shoulders as she took the ball back. "Besides...you won't score again."

I heard the announcer kid say it was 14-12, game point for Demi. She started to dribble at me and went for the layup as I was behind her. I let her jump up, but before the ball could touch the backboard. I smashed the ball away from the goal as the crowd started screaming. I scanned the crowd and saw Lauren looking amazed as she smiled at me. When I got the ball, I shot immediately, just like in the beginning. 14-13.

"You're down by one. Don't choke now." Demi commented as I got the ball again. I repeated the shot. 14-14.

"He's never once even mentioned you." Demi stated, trying to get into my head. I nodded.

"Good. This is for my mom." I said before I crossed her multiple times. I started to back her down and faked left before squaring up right and shot a short fade away. The whole crowd was silent as we watched the ball, seeing who would win. The ball floated through the air and swished through the chain linked net. The crowd went insne when it went in. 15-14.

All my friends crowded around me as I watched Demi leave and walk right past Lauren. Lauren walked over to me and I walked out the center of the crowd to talk to her.

"Demi said you changed the bet. So, what'd you bet?"

"If I win, she stays on the team."

"Why?" She looked so confused.

"Because it's the last thing she wants."

"Lauren." Demi called, halfway to the car.

"I'll see you around." I told Lauren. She nodded and smiled at me before walking to Demi.

A/N Here's a quick update because you guys asked and because I felt like it.