Chapter 6

(Y/n)'s pov

When I got home from that awkward moment between Lauren and I, I saw my mom sitting on the couch reading a magazine.

"Hey, sweetie." She said.

"I looked for you."

"Yeah, um. We were busy at the café. Which is a good thing, right?"

"Sure." I mumbled, mad that she didn't show up at my first game, no matter how bad I did.

"(Y/n)... I'm sorry I missed it." She said while standing up, noticing I was leaving the room.

"Yeah, me too." I said and walked out the living room.

-------------

Demi's pov

I was calling Lauren to apologize for my rudeness earlier. As soon as she answered I apologized.

"I'm sorry." When there was no response, I tried to keep talking. "Lauren..."

"Lauren isn't here right now." She snapped.

"Look, Lauren, I'm really sorry. It's just, she's on the team now and my dad's been hammering me about it. And I shouldn't take it out on you. I know that."

"Demi, I'm tired of this."

"I know. It's just- I know I haven't been very good to you lately and I just want to say that I'm sorry. Just say it's okay so that tomorrow we can start being us again, okay, Lauren?" I heard her let out a sigh before answering.

"Okay." She sighed out. I know she said it was okay, but I can tell it's not. I really fucked up.

--------------

(Y/n)'s pov

I spent the entire next morning before school at the playground. I kept shooting, hoping for a different outcome, but they were all the same. Miss, after miss, after miss. Hell, I even missed every layup that I tried.

When I got to school, my first class was with Demi and Lauren.

"Hemingway was a good writer, who wanted to be great, and eventually he discovered that less was more. Lauren... describe (Y/n) using just one word." The teacher said as I turned around to look at Lauren for her answer. She looked at me before her eyes scanned the room.

"Choke." She said as the whole class laughed and my jaw clenched. Demi smiled at Lauren from the seat in front of me. If that's how Lauren wants to be, then fine.

"Okay, quiet, please. Thank you. (Y/n), care to respond and describe Lauren?"

"Lonely." I said immediately. The class 'oh' ed in response. Demi raised her hand and the teacher called on her.

"I can describe (Y/n) in one word... Bastard." Demi smirked and took a glance behind her to look at my reaction. I jumped out of my desk a little before she did and tackled her to the ground.

"Knock it off!" The teacher yelled, but we didn't stop. I was on top of Demi and I started punching. Some of the guys in the classroom pulled me off of her before I could do major damage. She didn't even get a hit on me.

They sent me to Coach Smith's office and he started yelling immediately.

"I'd stand up, but everytime I do somebody kicks me in the ass for putting you on the team. Sit down!" I sat down when he told me to.

"I thought that just maybe you were different. I stuck my neck out for you. Damn it, I trusted you!"

"You're right." I responded.