Chapter 45

Demi's pov

I went to my in-home gym and walked over to the pull up bar. I wiped my hands off and jumped up, gripping onto the metal. I used my arm strength to raise my chin above the bar repeatedly. When I got to about 20, Dan walked in and leaned against the wall.

"Your arms are gonna be dead for the game tonight." He commented, noticing I was sweaty and had been doing this for a while. I released my grip from the bar so I could be on the ground.

"Yeah, you wish." I said, slightly out of breath. He would want me to be tired so I don't break his record, but by the time the game would start, thanks to those pills, my arms would be fine.

"No, I don't." He shook his head. "I'd live for you to break my record, Demi. I just don't think you will."

"We'll see about that." I challenged as my mom walked in.

"I have good news and bad news, Demi." She greeted. "Bad news is I have to be at the café so I'm going to miss your game." I sighed as the only person I liked in the family wasn't going to be there. "Good news is that now Ally can be there."

"At least one of us will be there." Dan sneered to my mom as he walked away.

----------------

I put my headphones on as I walked to the gym to prepare for tonight's game. I bobbed my head to the music blasting from the headphones.

"Demi!" I heard Ally over the deafening music, but I didn't turn around.

"Not now, Ally." I rejected so that I could stay focused.

"Okay, then after the game can we get some food and talk?" She asked.

"Ally, I said not now, okay?" I said as I finally stopped right before the gym door.

"Why are you being like this?" She asked. I quickly removed the headphones from my ears.

"Because I fucking can! That's how life works. People are assholes. Life's a bitch." She looked taken aback by my words.

"What is your problem?"

"My problem? My problem is on the other side of this damn wall," I flung my arm behind me for emphasis. "And in five minutes, if I'm not at the top of my game, they're gonna eat me alive. That's my problem." I retorted. She shook her head at me before storming off in the other direction. I groaned in frustration and yanked the gym door open.

-----------------

I stole the ball from the other team as we pressed in our defense. I dribbled passed two girls and scored an easy two points. All of the cheerleaders jumped up and shook their pom poms

The announcer spoke, "That's 38 points for Demi Lovato, and we're in the fourth quarter. She's 5 points from breaking the all-time high against Cove City, set, of course, be he who won't be named."

We stole the ball from Cove City again. Zendaya passed me the ball, and I shot a three, swishing it.

"That's a three pointer by Demi Lovato, and now she's a basket away from the record." The announcer excitedly yelled.

The other team threw the ball to the girl next to me, but I jumped in front and intercepted it. I ran down the court for a lay up, but a defender fell down as I went up for the shot. She fell to the floor as I cheered because it went in. The ref blew his whistle and called a foul on me for a charge.

"No basket!" He yelled over the roaring fans.

"What?" I yelled.

"Oh, no basket!" The announcer spoke. "Demi Lovato is whistled for charging."

"She was moving her feet!" I followed the ref as he moved toward the clock table, telling them my number and the foul.

"Calm down!" The ref pointed at me sternly.

"Just keep your eyes on the game." I told him.

"Time out!" Smith called.

"Coach, you better watch your girl." He warned. I scoffed at walked to the bench and drank some water. Coach Smith walked up to me and squatted right in front of me to talk.

"Demi, I don't care how many points you've got. You keep this up, I'll move you so far down the bench, they'll have to pump air to you." He threatened. I nodded and the buzzer signaled us to get back on the court.

"Just give me the ball." I demanded as we put our hands together.

"All right, let's go, defense on three." Ariana chanted, and we did as told, walking onto the court.

"Are you okay?" (Y/n) asked.

"I will be two points from now." I answered. The game restarted as their ball. They passed the ball in to the center, but she missed. I grabbed the rebound and passed it to Ari.

"Set it up!" I yelled as I got into position. Ariana passed it to (Y/n) as she waited for me to get open.

"(Y/n) Lovato waits for Demi Lovato to get open. She has 41 points." He announced.

I shook my head to get rid of some dizziness as I ran toward the ball. I got in front my defender, leaning my back on their front for support. (Y/n) passed me the ball, but I leaned more and more into my defender. My vision got more and more hazy as I eventually hit the floor, letting the ball escape my grip as the crowd gasped.

A/N ok. I need a major favor. Do any of y'all like writing poetry, or are good at it? I have to write and present a poem sometime next week, which my teacher is explaining more about later, and I am terrible at both poetry and presenting. I have major anxiety when it comes to presenting and presenting poems especially because sometimes they have to be personal or emotional. If one of y'all could help me with the poem soon, I would really appreciate it.