Devil Eyes | Daniel Ricciardo

Authors Note: It's been too long since I've done one for our Aussie fave!

Done in reader POV
--------------------------------------------

Thump, thump, thump. 

The only thing I can hear in my ears is my heartbeat. It's been three years since we've last seen each other and the only thing I can think about was seeing his eyes darken when he broke up with me. He had devil-like eyes. The love he once had for me has disappeared, or at least that's what it looked like .

"I'm so sorry, but I can't do this anymore. It's not you, it's me" was the last thing I remember coming from his lips. But here I was, about to see the man I once loved for the first time in nearly three years.

I straightened my dress and put a smile on my face. It was my sisters baby shower and I was going to ensure this party would be amazing for her. Her and Scotty were expecting their first baby boy together and our families couldn't be more excited. This would be the first grandchild and my dad was over the moon.

I had stepped out to collect the cake, so I handed it off to one of the staff of the venue before entering the hall. Most of the guests had arrived and my palms were starting to get sweaty. I made my way around greeting family and some of Chloe's friends that I knew. 

Do you know that moment when your body reacts to just knowing someone is there or watching you? I felt a pit in my stomach and heat rose along the back of my neck. I heard him before I saw him. His laugh was something I'd never forget, it was angelic. Danny had one of those laughs that made everyone else around him laugh and it was genuine.

I slightly turned my head to where the sound was coming from, watching Danny and Scotty cracking up over nothing. Like water had been dumped on his head, the minute he locked eyes with me he completely stopped. I couldn't read his face, he looked changed...and I wasn't sure if it was a good change.

Goosebumps spread along my arms, my own body deceiving me. I couldn't help how Danny made me felt, even to this day. I dated here and there after we had broken up and I knew he did too. But nothing ever worked, no one quite understood me like he did. I almost hated the fact that he ruined the standard for me. No one could be on Danny Ricciardo's level. When he loved, he loved with every fiber of his being. He truly treated me like a princess and I did my best to treat him like the amazing guy that he was.

It's a shame that sometimes love isn't enough. I cried for weeks over him and based on what I saw in the media, he didn't take it well either. Our breakup came out of the left field. Everything was going great and we were about to move in together. He must have changed his mind overnight because after a family trip with my parents and siblings, he changed his tune. 

I snapped out of my trance, watching Danny's eyes still focused on me. I broke our eye contact and went to check in on Chloe. Out of the corner of my eyes I saw him excuse himself from Scotty and stride towards me. I increased my pace, trying to get away from his direct line of sight. It was bold of him to even attempt to try anything here, surrounded by my family.

Fuck. I needed to get away.

"Serena!" 

I fast walked outside of the venue and into the garden, my clenched fists at my side. My anger was rising within and I was ready to go off on him. Is he trying to cause a scene at my sisters party?

"Bunny, please!"

I turned around at the nickname, coming to a halt. "No. You DON'T get to call me that anymore. I'm not your bunny." My finger was jabbing into his chest. Being this close to him made me slightly uncomfortable but I ignored the feeling.