Chapter Twenty One

Natsu POV

Lucy's been hiding a lot of things from me.

I don't like it.

She texted me that she will give Romeo a tour around school since it's after school and all.

Apparently Romeo's uncle is our Principal.

I asked Gray to shoot some loops with me while waiting for Lucy.

I can't seem to connect all the stories and hints this girl was giving me for the past few months about him.

Who's Rogue to her?

Is he really just a childhood friend?

She told me that Romeo was someone she can never lie or fake her feelings with.

Why?

There's so much I'd like to know about her, but she refuses to let me in.

"Oi Natsu, wake up!" Gray snapped his fingers on my face bringing me back to planet Earth.

He gestured me to sit beside him on a bench.

"What happened?" I asked as he was telling me something a while ago, before I got lost in my thoughts.

"I said I'm leaving Lucy in your care." Gray said simply.

I felt a huge weight came off of my chest.

I knew Gray likes Lucy.

Ever since the beginning.

It's just that now, I guess he treats her more like a little sister.

"I know that Lucy is really pretty behind those glasses and disguise." He said, making me froze in shock.

"H-How?" I gasped

"First day of school." He shrugged.

"But since then, you kept fencing on the poor girl like she's your property!" He added accusingly.

We both stared intently at each other.

Before I knew it, he threw a straight punch in my face causing me to fall backwards.

"W-What the?" I asked as I spat a blood on the floor.

"I really did like her." He whispered silently.

Silence.

"I'm sorry Gray. I just didn't want to lose my best friend." I said quietly.

"Best friend, my ass!" he roared.

"I wouldn't give her up if you just thought of her as a best friend, Natsu!" he gritted his teeth angrily.

"What do you mean?" I asked really confused.

"Is she really just a best friend to you, Natsu?" he yelled with annoyance.

"Yeah. I don't get where you're going with this?" I asked really lost at our once civil conversation.

"I knew you were stupid, but I never thought that... It's this bad!" he exclaimed furiously.

"If that's the case, then I should've just continued pursuing her!" he declared, balling his fists.

"Don't you even dare, Ice princess!" I snapped at him.

"Who are you to block my way in liking the girl? You're just a friend!" he roared.

"I'm her BEST FRIEND! Get your facts right!" I shot back.

"You are just a friend! Nothing more, nothing less!" he screeched.

"THAT'S NOT TRUE! I'M HER BEST FRIEND!" I defended.

"Yeah? Well what kind of a best friend are you, if you barely knew her?" he hissed violently.

'I-I...'

I was speechless.

Because it's true.

"What will you do if she was taken away from you?" he asked with a mischievous smirk.

"That's never going to happen!" I growled darkly at him.

"Well, why not? She's just your best friend. You can't control her life and who she chooses! Dibs on Lucy.' he provoked evilly, air quoting the best friend.

"I'm never going to let that happen because SHE'S MINE!" I yelled without thinking, then cupped my mouth in surprise with the sudden outburst.

"W-What I meant was she's MY best friend... So... of course..." I stuttered and Gray genuinely smiled.

"You've finally gotten it out." He complimented as he pats my shoulder lightly.

"Natsu, the way you look at her...has never been just a best friend. You have seriously no idea how I wish I was you. You can talk freely about your feelings with her. You can make her laugh and smile. I see how you can just kiss her hair, forehead, and cheeks. If only I was as bold as you." He said as he was trying to hold back his tears.

"Gray..." I called out quietly.

"No Natsu, you have to understand why I'm giving her up. I can see the love in your eyes as you watch her like a hawk. You smile from afar when you see her happy with her friends. You panic every time you didn't get to hug or kiss her on that day. You wouldn't calm down until you see her. It's like she's your life source and your own personal ray of sunshine. In a small period of time, you've both got each other tied around your little fingers." He wept as he finally lets his tears fall.

"For all those five years that you've waited for your fiancée to come back, this is the first time you've shown interest on a girl. I could have sworn that the day your great fiancée left you was the day that my old friend Natsu died. After five solid years, you've finally shown your genuine smile and that's because of her. At first, I tried to distract you by fighting or challenging you just to keep your mind off of your fiancée. I watched you slowly revolving your world around Lucy's existence and she was making you smile genuinely without even trying." He blubbered and wiped the tears away.

"I can no longer compete knowing that she was the light that guided you back to who you really were. I can't lose my best friend again, just because we like the same girl. I've never seen you acted like a lovesick moron before, even when your fiancée was here. Lucy can snap your mood in an instant, something your fiancée was having a hard time of doing. So even if it hurts, I'm letting her go." He covered his right hand on his face.

"I really like her. No. I love her." Gray whimpered.

I still stood there in shock from his revelation.

After a few minutes, I fixed myself and calmed down.

One other thing I know about Gray, when he's upset just let him be by himself and allow him to cool off.

"Thanks Gray, you're a true friend." I pat his shoulder and ran outside trying to find a quiet place to think.

Do I love Lucy?

Then I found the perfect place to think about my feelings.

The Library.