xxi. Eve

It's surprising how one decision can change your life forever.

Hindi natin alam kung saan at kailan darating ang pagbabago sa buhay mo. And, for me, it came like a whirlwind. It flew straight to me and threw me somewhere else. It didn't even give me a chance to have second thoughts, because that's how life is. You hastily decide on something then, zap, your life is completely reformed. 

All unfinished business will remain unfinished. All what if's left unknown. Then, you're there, standing, wondering what could have happened if you chose otherwise.. but you can't do anything because you took the other road and there are no u-turn slots.

Are you wondering what I am talking about?

Yes.. you are still reading the same story.

I am someone, and I don't know who I am. 

Do you know me? Because I don't.

***

"She's awake," a voice declared. It was a deep voice.. something familiar but something I can't remember. With all my strength, I opened my eyes and saw someone. His warm eyes made me feel cozy. His eyes were something I've seen but I can't recall.

Anomia. This is anomia. I can't remember who these people are.

"Who are you?" The raspiness of my voice was very evident. It seems like I haven't drank in a long time.

Someone went beside me and gave me a cup of water. I grabbed the cup and drank every last drop. The coldness of the water ran through my throat as if it was the rain pouring down barren land.

"Successful," the man with warm eyes said again. Successful? What is successful?

"Do you remember me?" the one who gave me the cup asked. I shifted my head to see who it was. It was a woman with hazel brown hair and deep brown eyes.

Umiling ako. Naguguluhan na ako. Nasaan ba ako? Sino ba ako? 

"That's great," masayang sabi noong babae. 

What? She's happy that I can't remember a thing? I can't fathom how this woman is happy with my loss!

"What?" galit na tanong ko. "Are you fucking real?" 

Those words felt foreign to me.. seems like it was the first time I said it.

"Come, let's go home," the woman said.

xyz

My head was pounding the moment I stepped out of the car. The house is familiar.

"Peter, ikaw na munang bahala sa gamit ni Eve ha. Kakausapin ko lang siya," sabi noong babae sa lalaking nagdrive kanina sa amin. 

"Where am I?" tanong ko.

"Nasa bahay na tayo. Eve, I'm your mother. I am Olivia Ortega and you're Hera Evelyn Ortega. The gauze on your arm was a result of an accident," pag-eexplain sa akin noong babae.

So.. she's my mom? Why do I feel awkward?

"Can I go out?" tanong ko sa kanya. I want to go somewhere else and think. I need to rehash everything.

"Okay, be safe," she told me and gave me a phone. I stood up and walked without any destination.

And as I passed a certain white house, my heart started to beat fast for no exact reason.

------------