Chapter 16 - End of Break

Chapter 16 – End of Break

                Christmas break went by quickly; although the continuous glares from my father every time Scorpius would sit next to me on the couch, or at the dinner table, were not very helpful. We had a lot of fun during the days leading up to Christmas. We went sledding, we played quidditch a lot, we had snow fights, and occasionally, Scorpius and I would sneak off to my room just to have time with ourselves and without my obnoxious brother. Scorpius had given me a silver bracelet, holding in a green stone snake for Christmas. My dad didn’t look so happy about the Slytherin like gift, but I thought it was pretty.

                Finally the day came that we were all dreading for (especially Scorpius and I); on the last few days before break ended, all the Weasley and Potter families (including some distant ones like Teddy) would come together to exchange some last minute gifts and have a big feast. It became traditional when Grandpa and Grandma were annoyed at the families for not being together and kind of forced us to come, but after a while, everyone looked forward to coming.

                 Getting ready, I was putting on some jeans and a comfortable green turtle neck to match my bracelet when my mom knocked on the door. When I opened it, she came in and shut the door quietly behind her.

“How are you feeling?” she asked almost immediately.

The truth? I felt so nervous I was surprised I wasn’t shaking.

“I’m fine mom, really.” My mom gave me that look which usually meant that she knew that wasn’t the truth.

“Okay, I am totally nervous. What do you expect? I’ve been lying to my cousins all winter about Scorpius and where I go when I finish my homework. When they find out I am dating him, I just feel like they will react worse than dad!” Of course, I had said this very quickly.

My mom pursed her lips, and took my hands. “Honey; when I first found out you were dating Scorpius, I was equally surprised as your father, I just didn’t lash out. I knew I needed patience, I didn’t even know the boy. And I am glad I had. Over the past days that I have gotten to know Scorpius, he is responsible and respectable enough to know not to cause any harm. If your cousins act like your father; just give them time. They will eventually get used to it, just as your father and I have.” She continued. “Just don’t get to put down over their reactions.”

I nodded and a smile had formed on my face; I already knew this but it was nice for some reassurance.

“Thanks mom.”

She smiled gently. Letting go of my hands she turned leave. “Finish getting ready, we will be leaving soon.” Then she disappeared.

I sighed as I turned to finish doing my hair.

***

                When everyone was ready to go (Scorpius looking exceptionally well of course); we lined up in front of the Living Room fire to floo to the burrow. My brother went first (his friend went home the day before Christmas), then my mom, me, my dad, and Scorpius was left to come when my father exited the fire.

                When I first came out, my grandma squished me into a tight hug; then my grandpa followed suit. My mother is always early, so our cousins and my Aunt and Uncles were not there yet. When I came out of the hug I tried explaining to them quickly because my dad just came out of the fireplace.

“Gran, Gramp?” I said a bit queasy.

There eyes averted towards me after giving my father a hug. “My boyfriend will be coming over to meet everyone.”