Chapter 11 - Death of Me

Chapter 11 – Death of Me

            There was silence. “Scorpius,” I whispered this time. “I’m here.” He answered.

There was still silence, but finally he spoke up. “I- Actually, I do remember, of course I do. I would never forget something like that; but the reason why I acted that way was because: I didn’t want to actually admit that we kissed, I thought it would be much easier for me and for you.” His voice sounded a little strangled, like he couldn’t believe what he was saying. “So, I don’t know; when you jumped back crying and ran, I- I got really confused.”

I chuckled. “Trust me, I was confused from Rodney; and then we kissed. You should see how confused I was then. Why do you think I lye in bed for three days straight?”

I had a feeling he was raising his eyebrows. “That’s why you were gone… Over me?”

“You bet.” I answered. His grasp seemed to tighten on my waist, liked he was getting more protective over me. We sat in silence, I could hear a clock ticking somewhere in the room; and I had a feeling we both have lay here for hours wide awake. “Scorpius; I-… I admit, I am still confused. Why is this happening to us, I mean, you used to bully me all the time, why not now?” I asked in a whisper.

He took a deep sigh, his minty breath blowing on my neck. “It’s my dad, I never really meant to be an exact figure of my father; and I never have wanted to. It just happened in my first year; do you remember when I sat on the stool, how strangled my face looked? I wanted to be in Slytherin, very badly. But I also didn’t want to be a bully, but then that year, when I made a friend that was a Gryffindor; my dad saw me hanging out with him when we were at a Quidditch match. He freaked out and told me all the friends I was and not aloud to have. I hated it, but every winter and summer break; he would give me a truth potion. “That’s when he freaked out; he saw that I was being nice; ruining his name for having friends from other common rooms. So bullying you; the weakest of the clan, seemed to brighten my dad up. I don’t know why I kept on doing it: I just did. I hated bullying people, being mean. I truthfully tried giving you a warning about that puking pastel, without showing I was trying to protect you. Then we kissed. I felt so vulnerable; I haven’t felt like that in forever. I liked it, I liked protecting you and-” He froze in mid sentence. I could tell he has never told anyone about how his father controlled his life. “I don’t want it to happen anymore; I’m scared to go home for Christmas break this year. My dad will give me the truth potion; and he will see all my secrets, even about you. I have a death warrant.”

“Scorpius,” I whispered in shock. “I- I’m so sorry; I didn’t mean to-”

Scorpius let go of my waist and sat up, so I sat up as well. It was late at night; I felt horrible for what was happening to him. He looked strangled and in pain; I touched his shoulder and he flinched. Tears welled up in my eyes. “Scorpius, I am so, so sorry. I feel horrible, this is my entire fault.” Tears were streaming down my cheeks. “You’ve been so nice to me lately and all I have been doing is ruining your life by being around. I- I should go and leave you alone, I-” He turned around in an instance, pulling my body against his, lips against mine, in shock; the tears stopped. My face flushed; it was really hot from the blood in my cheeks. He was over me while I was under, so I slowly lay down on a pillow. My arms wrapped around his neck, tightly; I pulled him closer. I never wanted to let go of him now; it was too late for both of us. I couldn’t help but feel as if I was falling in love with him; I am sure I was. We finally pulled apart, both breathing heavily.

My voice cracked. “Scorpius-” He let go of me, and sat up; still looking at me lying strangled on the bed. “Stop,” he answered immediately. “Just stop it. Stop blaming yourself for things that happen to me. I- Rose, I am falling in love with you as I am sure you are falling for me. But-” He stood out of bed and stared at the door as if wanting to leave, but I knew he wouldn’t. I sat up, still under the blankets; why do these kinds of things always happen to me? So I stood up as well, no longer cold but hot. I stumbled over to him, almost falling but he caught me. I was only tall enough to reach his shoulder; so I looked up at him. Deep into the pine tree eyes; I put both my hands on his cheeks.