Chapter 15: Go Karts - Oops, I Mean Patrol Buggies!

Kenzie's P.O.V.

Our plan was working! Kayla, Sarah, and I had all worked together on a plan to get Donnie to like Abby. We already knew Abby liked Donnie, and I also didn't want to be there when Donnie was obsessing over April, but that was besides the point.

Then there was the problem that Abby would never, ever like a boy from school. Kayla was constantly trying to hook her up (which I don't really understand) and Abby absolutely hates it.

I was surprised the turtles agreed, but I figured Raph's motive was to stop Donnie's April obsession. I still don't know why Leo helped. And Mikey helped because he's Mikey. He was still reluctant, insisting that the two could figure it out by themselves, but eventually caved in.

This whole thing was Kayla's idea, and Sarah came up with the main plan. I helped convince the turtles (minus Donnie) to help.

Mikey seemed to enjoy our spying, weirdly enough. Raph seemed a bit uncomfortable, but he's Raph, so I didn't expect anything less. And Leo doesn't really like the idea at all, but he's playing along. I think he secretly hopes Mikey is right and we'll all just leave it along.

Raph's eyes flickered back at me, and though it was barely for even a second, I saw it. That was the fifth time he'd done it during our stakeout. I rolled my eyes.

"Would you stop that," I whispered to him. He looked at me blankly.

"Stop what?" he asked quietly, but there was a slight playful tone in his voice.

"Looking at me."

"I'm not. Intentionally."

That caught me off guard. I apparently made a weird face because he almost laughed but soon pressed his lips together to prevent it.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I questioned.

"Uh... Tell you later," he muttered, all laughter gone. I could tell he wasn't looking forward to 'later'.

Raph hadn't acted like Raph... odd.

I turned my attention back to Abby and Donnie.

"Yeah but why don't we just have a signal or something?" Abby asked seriously.

"Because we could still do it simultaneously!" Donnie explained, frustrated. Abby groaned.

"I don't think it's possible to not do things in unison."

"But it has to be!"

"We can finish this conversation after dinner. I'm hungry," Abby announced. She started towards the door.

"Act normal!" I hissed to everyone, who rushed to do their normal activities. I stayed rooted to the spot, realizing too late that I had no excuse.

Abby opened the door and I quickly pretended to be walking towards the lab.

"Oh, I was just coming to get you for dinner. I think, at least. I'm pretty sure the pizza should be here by now," I lied quickly.

"I was just coming to grab something to eat! Donnie will probably be out in a sec," Abby replied. I nodded.

As we walked together towards the kitchen, I tried to make conversation.

"So.. how's being a turtle going for you?" I asked casually.

"Good, I guess. I mean, I'm still getting used to this thing-" she gestured to the bulky shell on her back "-don't get me wrong, but I actually like being a.... mutant."

I nodded. "I guess I can relate, but when I transformed I couldn't remember anything, so that's a teeny weeny downside," I joked. Abby grinned.

"Nah, not teeny weeny, teeny shmeeny weeny," she laughed. I giggled.