Chapter 45: Lastly, A Pillow Fight

I updated two chapters today! Make sure you read Chapter 44 first! Also...this is the last chapter. This book is finished after this. Thanks so much for reading and going on this journey with me! It took me a VERY long time to finish the book, and I can't express my gratitude enough to those of you who stuck by through it all. Love you all! <3

~•~

The lair was quiet the next day, air filled with unspoken words. As much as Abby wanted to offer her condolences to Splinter for the loss of someone he used to be so close to, she couldn't. Along with the rest of her friends and family, she couldn't bring herself to mourn the death of the man who tried to kill her through her best friends.

In reality, Splinter's sadness came from the fact that his brother left him. He was truly relieved that his sons were safe from the evil that was the Shredder, but what they didn't know was that Splinter had tried to talk to Shredder on that rooftop, to bring back his non-biological brother. But the man Splinter once knew was gone, and had been gone for a long time, and that was what saddened Splinter. He quickly recovered, however, with the support of his sons. He realized his sons, the girls, and their families were safe, and that was what mattered.

In the TV area, Abby was sitting on the couch, with Sarah and Kenzie to her left, and Kayla and Sam to her right. The sisters were talking about Sam's mutation, and were practically screaming about how cool it was that her tail and ears took on the same dyed colors as her hair when she was human. The turquoise and orange tips stood out against her otherwise brown fur, the colors blurring together as she wagged her tail.

Dalilah was in the kitchen, talking to Abby's parents. They decided (well, more like demanded) that Dalilah would live with them, but now they had to take care of the legal side of things. However, due to recent events, all four families had decided to stay underground for a little just in case Shredder's henchmen were out for revenge, though without a leader, it was unlikely.

"We did it," Sarah suddenly blurted, shooting a sideways smile at her friends.

"Did what?" Kayla asked, turning away from her conversation with Sam to face her friend. Her sister's ears perked in curiosity, and she, too, turned her attention to Sarah.

"We got our families back," Sarah smiled. It wasn't her usual sarcastic grin or smirk, it was a genuine smile. Voices from the dojo approached the living area as the turtles arrived. Splinter wanted to talk to them, which made them worry, but now, they seemed happier. That is, if 'happier' means their usual selves.

Raphael had been frowning earlier, and that hadn't changed, but this time it was in annoyance, and directed at Mikey. The orange-masked turtle was rambling about a comic book, but that was all the girls could get from the conversation because they couldn't make sense of anything Mikey was saying. Raph cut him off with a snappy remark, and Donnie started countering all of what Mikey said about his comic with logical explanations, which Mikey simply waved away.

"D, I'm telling you, Captain Crab's skin came off, but he didn't even die!" Mikey exclaimed. Abby laughed quietly, at the ridiculousness of both the superhero's name and the situation he was in.

"He molted, Mikey," Donnie sighed, shaking his head.

"Nobody cares about the bug guy," Raph piped up.

"Actually, crabs aren't bugs, they're–"

"I don't care!"

"You should care, Raph! What if a killer crab comes and it's skin falls off on you?!"

"Cut it out, guys," Leo ordered, but he was sporting a small smile. Together, the four of them sat on the ground in front of the couch, launching into an argument over what toppings to get on their pizza dinner. Donatello finally let out an exasperated sigh and suggested they just get four pizzas, which started another argument over which size to get.

There were a lot of guests, so they needed more pizza than usual, and Abby had a hunch that they would need a lot more than four pizzas to feed their humongous group, no matter what size they got. Soon enough, Dalilah wandered in, and she stared at the arguing turtles for a few seconds before squeezing into the seat beside Sam, giving her a 'Not even gonna ask' look.

"You know, you were the one who doubted our skills in saving our parents, if I recall correctly," Abby pointed out with a teasing grin, continuing Sarah's conversation from before the turtles interrupted.

"And if I recall correctly, we still don't have any skills, just really good luck," Sarah snickered.

"Well if I recall–"

"Shut up," Raph grumbled, rolling his eyes and cutting Abby off. Kenzie smiled mischievously.

"If I recall correctly," she began, earning a glare from Raph and a hidden laugh from Kayla and Abby, "Sarah's doubtfulness initiated a pillow fight, did it not?" Kayla's eyes lit up when she realized where the conversation was going.

"I think it did," Kayla confirmed with a sly grin. "Why do you ask, dear friend?"

"No reason," Kenzie shrugged, but even as she said it, her hand was twitching towards a pillow. Before she could, Abby grabbed a different pillow and pegged it at Sarah, who simply caught it and threw it to the side, only to be nailed in the face by Kenzie's pillow. A grunt of surprise drew everyone's attention, and Raph narrowed eyes scanned everyone's faces as they realized he was hit. He slowly picked up the pillow, a smirk growing as he prepared to whack Abby with it. She cringed away, but at the last second, he whipped around to slam the pillow into Mikey's face.

The orange-masked turtle snatched the pillow and whooped as he went to hit Sam, who simply laughed and defended herself with her own pillow. Soon, everyone was armed and a pillow fight erupted. Laughter echoed throughout the lair as they attacked each other with pillows, swerving around furniture and sprinting between rooms. There was a blur as Donnie hit Dalilah, who hit Raph, who hit Sam and Abby simultaneously, and suddenly there was just a mess of hitting whoever came near you. Kenzie found herself with a mouthful of feathers, and not knowing who it came from, she just hit anyway she could see. If she hit everyone, she was bound to get her revenge, right?

For a pillow fight, it got pretty intense. Forts were built, alliances were made and broken, pillows were ripped. Abby couldn't help but grin at her new friends and family. The pillow fight was reminiscent of the night so many weeks ago, when Abby, Kayla, Kenzie, and Sarah met their four new turtle friends. Since then, so much had changed.

Now, Abby was a mutant turtle with some crazy abilities, they discovered Sarah had literal anger issues and Kenzie was a morphing bear mutant, Kayla got her sister back, Abby had found a long-lost cousin, the group of best friends had been reunited with their parents, and they became friends with their television heroes. There was one major difference between this pillow fight and the last, however.

This time, they were living with turtles.

The End.