Chapter 44: A Final Fight

A humming sound could be heard from outside TCRI. Once they realized the MGE was useless, the Kraang ships that were raining down the mutagemia turned around and returned to their Earthen base. The aliens were surprised to find that their precious control center had been utterly destroyed, rendering everyone under the influence of their MGE without a leader. The entire city's population had gone from Kraang minions to emotionless people-creatures who couldn't do anything.

Kenzie realized that their job wasn't over yet. She paused mid-fist-bump with Sarah as the thought came crashing down on her. They celebrated too early.

The inhabitants of the city literally couldn't do anything. They had shut off the Kraang's main computer, which was sending commands to them through some advanced Dimension X machinery that none of the girls understood (though Abby probably would have, if she weren't MGE-ified). Without anything to send them orders, everyone the Kraang had been controlling simply froze, unmoving. They were like statues, whose only functions were breathing and blinking. Kenzie wasn't even sure how they were breathing if no one ordered them to, but she didn't think twice about it and decided just to be thankful everyone was alive.

With the Kraang arriving back at TCRI, and a collection of either unconscious or unmoving mutants and people, the girls knew they needed to escape, an fast.

"Grab the memory thingy!" Kayla reminded, nodding towards Donnie. The purple-masked turtle looked like he had been in the middle of waking up from his nasty fight with the wall when the computer exploded. While Kayla helped Sarah remain standing, since she was too dizzy and disoriented to stand on her own, Kenzie stole the modified machine from Donnie and switched it on, directing it towards the intelligent terrapin. Immediately, his stone-like expression melted and was replaced with a confused one as his body continued to awaken.

"Whaa?" he mumbled, squinting. His eyes widened as he took in his surroundings, and he hurriedly stood, wincing as he did so. Kenzie frowned guiltily. "Are we in TCRI? What happened? Why does my shell hurt so bad?"

"You got hit by the MGE and tried to attack us. Don't worry, we destroyed the control thing!" Kayla explained cheerily. Donnie seemed surprised, either that they weren't controlled or that they managed to save everyone. "Oh, and Kenzie bear-smacked you into a wall."

Donnie turned his gaze to Kenzie, his masked raised like his eyebrow would have been if he had any.

"Sorry," she replied sheepishly. "I didn't mean to hurt you, but you caught me off guard and–"

"It's fine," Donnie cut her off. "I'm sure it's just a few bruises. We have other things to worry about, though."

Glancing back, Kenzie realized he was right. The Kraang were starting to take notice of them, and this time, they were just holding their laser guns to scare them. The aliens obviously expected their friends to take care of the girls, but they sorely underestimated them. Now, the Kraang were going to finish the job themselves.

As fast as she could, Kenzie zapped everyone else with the "MGE cure." Abby immediately realized what happened, her concerned gaze falling on her friends.

"Are you guys okay?" she gasped, rushing to their side. "What happened to Sarah? I didn't do that, did I?"

"She probably has a concussion," Donnie assessed.

"You don't say," Sarah muttered, finally finding the strength to speak. The pounding in her head made her feel sick, but it had faded slightly. She figured she'd received the concussion when Splinter attacked her. "Splinter hit me pretty hard. Dalilah and Sam probably didn't help either."

"She speaks!" Kayla joked, but the humor was lost as everyone else began coming to. Fortunately, that meant the rest of their friends were themselves again. Unfortunately, that also meant the Shredder was awake, or close to it at the very least.