Chapter 31: Mutagemia On The Loose

"Kay?"

Kayla jolted awake, glancing in the direction of the voice. A laugh to her left told her that it was Samantha.

"Yeah?" Kayla asked with a small grin, rubbing the sleep out of her eyes.

"One of the turtles was calling you," her younger sister replied. Nodding absentmindedly, Kayla stood and exited the guest room, leaving Samantha there with Kenzie and Sarah, who were still asleep.

Kayla already knew who the turtle was. She stepped into the living room and spotted the orange-clad turtle on the couch.

"Hey, Mikey. You called?"

Mikey glanced up at her, grinning. "Yep! Splinter wants to talk to us about your sister."

Kayla nodded, turning to the dojo with Mikey close behind.

"What if he says no?" Kayla wondered. Mikey gave her a reassuring smile.

"He'll say yes, don't worry. If there's one thing I know about Sensei, it's that he's a sucker for family stuff," the youngest turtle replied as they arrived at the dojo. Splinter stood in the doorway, waiting.

"Uh, Master Splinter, I know that we've kinda pretty much moved into the lair now, and it's already crowded in here, but my sister has nowhere else to go so if she could stay-"

Splinter cut Kayla off with a chuckle. "Mikayla, I would never separate you from you're sister simply because the population of my home is growing. Of course she may stay."

Caught off guard by his quick agreement, Kayla stared at Splinter. "Oh. I just didn't wanna be a nuisance or anything, is all."

With a smile, Splinter replied, "You and you're friends' families are always welcome to stay."

Mikey nudged Kayla, shooting her an 'I told you so' look, and she returned it with an eye roll.

"Hai, Sensei," Mikey muttered before standing to exit the dojo. Kayla hurried to repeat his actions and left the training area as well.

Samantha was waiting on the couch, her hair an all-over-the-place mess and her fox tail in a tangled frizz. Kayla laughed at the sight of her sister's hairdo, earning a playful glare from Samantha.

"It's so weird seeing you with wolf ears," Kayla admitted as she seated herself next to Samantha. "And a tail."

"I'm still not entirely used to it," the fox mutant replied. "Plus, I think it mutated more than the color of my eyes. I can see way better at night now."

Kayla smiled lightly, wrapping an arm around her sister. "Just glad you're back."

A loud yawn from the bedroom hallway made the sisters' heads snap in that direction. Abby was shuffling out of Donnie's bedroom while rubbing the sleep out of her eyes. She went to comb the knots out of her hair, but paused when she remembered: she didn't have hair because of her mutation.

Mikey chuckled from the kitchen, where he had gone to make breakfast. "Morning, Abby!"

"Morning Mikey," she replied with a grin, but it was a distracted expression. "And Kayla and Sam."

"Whatcha want for breakfast? I'm cookin' up some omelets, pancakes, and waffles," Mikey informed.

"Pancakes, please. Call us in when you're done?" she asked, walking in the direction of the lab.

"Sure! And ask Don what he wants."

Abby nodded, pushing open the lab door and strolling inside. Muffled voices were heard from inside before Abby poked her head out again. "He says waffles."

Inside the lab, Donnie wasn't doing anything for once. Abby, surprised, asked what he was up to.

"I needed a second opinion on something. My first choice usually would've been Mikey, but since you like popcorn..." Donnie stopped to pull out a machine with a blanket overtop. "Ta da!"

He pulled off the blanket to reveal a popcorn machine. Abby grinned. "Where did you get this?"

"I built it," he replied smugly. Abby laughed lightly. "Mikey kept bugging me to make one for movie nights. But that's not all I wanted to talk to you about."

"What else?"

"Kayla's sister said that the mutagen they poured on her was green, not the normal turquoise. We need to figure out why," Donnie said. Abby nodded thoughtfully.

"Well, obviously it was because it was a different kind of mutagen. Maybe it was just aimed at certain areas? She isn't fully a fox. Only parts of her body mutated, like her ears, tail, and eyes."

After taking a swift blood sample, the duo found that Abby was close to exactly right. Donnie quickly jotted the information down, and then turned to Abby once again.

"The last thing we need to do is just decipher this information," he explained, plugging his T-Phone into his laptop. "Just turn this on and—there!"

The Kraang Orb started glowing, and soon the information that Donnie had taken onto his T-Phone from TCRI was translated into English from the Kraang's language.

"Oh no," Abby gasped as she read the words appearing on the screen.

Mutagen Experiment
Trial 2
Mutagen Type: Mutagemia
Subjects: Mikayla Krier, Sarah Walsh, Mackenzie Colamesta
Status: To Be Tested
Mutagemia Holder: The Shredder
Uses: Control subjects' minds, alter thoughts temporarily
Date of Planned Test: Night of November 9th, 2015

Donnie's pupils dilated. "We gotta tell everyone."

"That's tonight. Donnie, their planning on testing it tonight! How did they get Kenzie's and Kayla's?"

Abby frowned, seemingly on the verge of tears.

"Abby, we won't let Shredder get away with this. We'll stop him," Donnie comforted, before exiting the lab to get everyone else.

By now, everyone was awake and just waiting for Mikey to finish with breakfast. All actions were halted when a very worried Donnie hurried into the room.

"Guys, we're in huge trouble," he informed, gesturing for everyone to follow. Mikey saw his family and friends heading to the lab, turned off all his cooking utensils, and hurried to catch up. "The Kraang have taken MGE to a whole new level."

Everyone gazed at the computer screen with fear or worry. "How the shell did they already make mine and Kayla's? We were just there."

"Too late to figure it out now. We need to go topside and destroy that Mutagemia before Shredder can control any of you," Leo decided.

"How is he planning on getting it into you? If we just stay down here, he can't inject the stuff into them, and then can't control them," Raph pointed out.

"No. As long as Shredder has the MGE, he has way too much power that we need to get rid of," Leo argued.

"But if we go, that's making them an easier target for Shredder."

"Dudes, what if both of you are right?" Mikey piped up to stop his brothers' argument. "The girls can be down here safe, and we can go get rid of the mutagen!"

While annoyed that she would have to stay behind, Abby nodded in agreement, and soon the rest of the girls followed in suit.

"What about me?" Samantha stepped in. "Because if you want me to help, sorry, but I am not going back to talk to those stupid robots any time soon, thanks very much."

"It's ok, dudette! You can chill here with your sis and Abby, Sarah, and Kenzie," Mikey assured, giving her a playful elbow to the ribs.

Raph turned to his older brother, and the blue-clad turtle returned the hothead's hard stare.

"We both get what we want. Deal?" Raph asked, crossing his arms.

"Deal. Shredder, here we come."