Chapter Four

Angela:

"So I have to stay here for how long?" I asked him, my voice cracking slightly. I couldn't believe it.

"I don't know how long yet. Until whenever I want." He said dismissively with the wave of a hand.

"But, b-but I have people and a life waiting for me back home. I can't leave them." I lied, because all I could think about now was getting as far away from this state, this apartment, this room and Adrianno as possible. He scared the hell out of me without even doing anything.

After I woke up and found him sitting there, watching and waiting for me to awake, we had a talk. Well, we wouldn't be the correct word; I sat there and listened, trying not to cry at the realization of what was happening while he talked. He told me how I shouldn't have seen what I seen and how I couldn't be trusted. I had to stay under his close watch for a while until he knew I wouldn't rat or call the cops on him.

I couldn't do it, I just couldn't stay in this strange apartment with this strange man for however long he wanted me to but how was I supposed to prove to him I wouldn't tell the cops? That wasn't an option anymore, I was so afraid of what they might do, I never could.

"Bullshit." He said bluntly, his voice breaking into my line of thoughts.

"What?" I was too afraid to say anything else, was he angry? Please don't be angry, I thought.

"You had your stuff packed up and ready to go when I visited you the other day. You live alone and as far as I know, you haven't made contact with your family in years." He spoke matter-of-factly. I glared at him now, angry about his mentioning of my family. If he knew about that, could he know about everything else? My glare was exchanged with a look of panic, he was watching me intently. "Don't lie to me Angela again, because I always find out the truth."

"I-I'm sorry." I looked down at my wringing hands. "But I really need to get going, I can't stay in New York for long." That wasn't a lie, if I was afraid he would find in me in Toronto, I should definitely be more afraid he would find me in New York. We were in the middle of the city; in close proximity to where I had lived just a few months ago except this place was a lot nicer than where I used to live. I didn't want to think about it about it anymore, I needed to stop. I'm sure if he did try to take me away, Adrianno wouldn't let me go because he couldn't trust me.

"Why?" he stared at me. Did he know? No, he couldn't.

"I just can't." I said quickly, getting nervous now but he didn't ask any more questions about it.

"Can you cook?" he changed the subject and I gulped.

"Yes." I replied, too afraid to ask any questions.

"Good, because you will be doing the cooking and cleaning for me until I let you go. Kind of like a live-in maid." He was getting enjoyment from seeing my reaction. I nodded and held back tears; I needed to be alone right now because everything that had happened over the past few days was coming down on me at this moment. My thoughts were just one big blur and I couldn't think straight. "Your room in the first left straight down the hall, your things are in there. I'll call you when I need you." He brushed me off because his phone rang and he took the call. I could still here him speaking in fluid Italian as I walked down the hallway and closed my door behind me. I sunk onto my bed and let out a sigh, I really was tired and just so worn out.

Everything was weird now, I didn't know what to do and what had happened over the last few days hadn't processed properly in my brain yet. A tear slipped down my cheek when I remembered the conversation I just had. "Until whenever I want." His words rung in my ears. I lay on the bed on my side, not yet getting a feel for my surroundings when there was a knock on the door and it opened soon after.