Chapter Nineteen

"Come on Angela, it's time to find you something." Mike grabbed her wrist and brought her through the crowed department store to the beauty section. Everything looked expensive, way too expensive for Angela. She didn't want Mike to buy her anything here, even though he kept insisting, she couldn't take anything from him. Especially not when she hadn't got her own money to get him something in return.

"No, it's fine really. We should be heading home soon anyway." Angela tried convincing him but he was having none of it. They had already been there for a couple of hours already. He had invited her to go gift shopping with him and after helping him out with buying what seemed like hundreds of presents for all of his family members, he wanted to get her something. It was Christmas Eve and Mike had told her he always waited this late to get everything last minute.

"Nonsense. Besides, I have a surprise for you." She turned to look at him and raised an eyebrow. Mike was too busy looking around for something.

"Surprise?"

"Yeah, she should be here in like two minutes anyway. Let's go."

"She?" Angela was confused.

"Hi Angela!" she turned around to find Maria with her hands out, ready for a hug.

"Hello." Angela replied once Maria had let her go. "How are you?" she smiled at Maria.

"Never been better. Now, that's enough of the chit-chat, we have shopping to do. Mike, you can leave us here. We'll meet back up with you in a while."

"Bye ladies." Mike waved them off as Maria linked Angela and practically dragged her in the direction of the women's clothing.

"We have shopping to do?" Angela asked Maria as they walked through the more casual clothes. Angela looked around her as the two ventured deeper into the racks of clothes and mannequins.

"Yes. I was sent by Adriano, he told me to find you something to wear for tomorrow and his party."

"Oh no, it's okay. I don't-"

"He told me not to let you go until we find something." She stopped Angela and put her hands on either side of her arms, letting out a breath and looking Angela up and down. "Red will look good on you." She grinned and they began to walk again.

After Maria had enthusiastically picked out a handful for cocktail and evening dresses, she waited patiently outside of Angela's dressing room door. Although Angela thought all of the dresses were beautiful, she and Maria had narrowed it down to two.

For Christmas dinner, which Angela had only found out, now was going to hosted in Adriano's parent's house, they chose a simple cream, mid-length dress. It had beading and details on the bust of the dress, Angela really liked it.

For Adriano's party, Angela needed something fancy, or so Maria had told her anyway. As if any of the other dresses weren't fancy enough, Maria had kept the best for last, a red satin trumpet dress. It had a sweetheart neckline and was strapless. Maria's grin had widened, if that was even possible as soon as Angela stepped out in it and Angela had matched that grin with one of her own, she loved it. Although it was way too long for her, Maria said she would organise alterations and she would need heels. And so, the two had picked out the two dresses, shoes and jewellery and were finally paying.

Although Angela had really liked both the dresses, the same couldn't be said for the prices of them.

"Are you sure about this?" Angela asked Maria in a hush tone as she extended her arm to the sales assistant, card in hand. She knew immediately what Angela was talking about and let out a small laugh.