Chapter Nine

"I didn't buy you the dress."

"Oh. My mistake." Angela tried not to sound confused, but she wondered why Adrianno told her it was Mike that bought her this dress and who had actually gotten it for her. Could it have been Adrianno himself? No, she thought straight away, definitely not.

"You know I have the perfect earrings to go with that dress, why don't we go and look for them?" Maria, who was now standing with Mike and Angela, cut into her thoughts.

"Okay." Angela nodded and was lead out into the hallway away from the men by the hand. Maria was short too but not as short as Angela. She had this wavy black hair that was cut into a short bob and dark brown eyes that made her face look warm and sweet. She was wearing a cocktail dress just like Angela, except she looked way more glamorous in hers.

They made their way into what looked like a walk-in closet and Angela was shocked at the amount of clothes that surrounded them. Maria didn't seem fazed by it, which was obviously because they were all hers, and continued opening drawer after drawer of expensive looking jewellery.

"Here we go." She said, holding up two silver dangling earrings in front of Angela. They were beautiful, like the rest of the things in this room but she couldn't except them.

"They're gorgeous." Angela said politely, Maria smiled warmly at her and handed them to Angela. "But I can't take them." Maria smile faded slightly as Angela handed them back.

"Of course you can, I'm giving them to you." She was very kind for offering them to Angela and she was grateful but felt slightly uncomfortable accepting them from Maria, who barely knew her.

"No honestly, thank you though." Angela smiled back at her.

"How about you wear them just for tonight and give them back to me the next time I see you. They would look way better on you Angela." Maria insisted. Angela knew that if she didn't go along with it, she would never hear the end of it from Maria so she took the earrings and put them in her ears. They sparkled under the light of the room and Angela thanked Maria again for being so nice.

They sat and ate dinner afterwards. Maria had cooked a huge meal for the five of them. Angela was glad that her eating had gotten a lot better since she moved into Adrianno's apartment, she ate everything off of the plate, just like the rest of them. Her food was delicious. They all chatted over their food but Angela had just watched kept quiet for most of it.

"I cooked, you clean up." Maria grinned at the three men and got up from the table."Come on Angela, let's go." She motioned for her to come over.

"That's not fair, Angela should clean up too." Mike joked and both he and Maria laughed.

"She gets this one off." Maria linked her arm in Angela's and said "Wanna go for a tour?" Angela was quite curious to see more of the penthouse apartment so she nodded and Maria eagerly showed her around while they chatted. Angela was shy at first but Maria was beginning to like her, she saw her as a genuine and nice girl.

"And this is the family room." Maria opened one of the doors off of the long corridor and they both stepped in. Angela looked at the pictures hanging up on the wall of both Maria and Franco and two young kids.

"Is this your family?" Angela had spoken for the first time in a while, Maria seemed to be doing all of the talking for both of them but Angela was glad for that.

"Yes, that's Amelia." She smiled and pointed to the older little girl who was hugging Franco's leg. "And that's Michael." She pointed to the young child who was being held in Maria's arms.

"How old are they?"

"Amelia has just turned four and Michael is almost six months old." Maria seemed to brighten up even more at the mention of her two children and continued to talk about them to Angela as they left the family room and made their way out onto the corridor again.