Chapter Forty-Nine

Angela woke up in a hospital bed and unknown surroundings. She tried not to panic as she blinked a couple of times. Her body felt stiff and delicate but nothing more. Her thoughts about what had happened before she blacked out came running back to her and she began to panic. She looked around the room, trying to find something familiar to her.  Angela seemed to calm a little bit once she locked her eyes with dark brown ones.

Adriano stood up and came rushing towards her. He enveloped her in a loose hug, making sure he was careful with her. He let out a heavy sigh of relief when she was in his arms and rubbed her back. After a moment or two he pulled away and kissed her on the cheek before speaking.

"Angie, I'm so glad you're awake. I can't tell you how worried I was.How are you feeling?"

"I-uh- I'm not sure." Tears welled in her eyes when she looked at him, did he know about the baby? He held her face in his hands and rubbed his thumb over her cheek to sooth her. "Are you okay? Did Adamo get you when he shot at you and your father?"

"I'm fine, don't worry about me piccola." He spoke in a gentle voice and wiped a tear away that had just fallen down her cheek.

"Why does everything never seem to work out for us Adriano?" more tears were falling down her face then. To see her like this and the hear her voice broke Adriano's heart.

"Shh, it's okay." He wrapped his arms around her again.

"Adriano, the bab-" she pulled away to look at him and tried to stop her crying.

Just then, they both heard a knock on the door. A woman who Angela only presumed could be the doctor walked in, her face was definitely not showing any hint of what news she would bring the two of them.

"Hello Angela, I'm doctor Smith. It's nice to meet you." She gave Angela a small smile and shook her hand before shaking Adriano's too.

"Hello." Angela twiddled her thumbs, unable to look at the doctor for a moment.

"I have news for you, but I'm afraid it is for you only."

"Can't he stay with me?" Angela asked.

"Is he the father?" Angela held a glimmer of hope within herself. Did that mean that he would still be a father?

"Yeah, I am." Adriano spoke up, eyeing the woman with curiosity while Angela nodded.

"Alright then. The baby is going to be fine. We will need to do a few check-ups on you before and after we let you go, just to make sure you and the baby will be okay."

"B-but I was bleeding? Doesn't that mean there's something wrong?" Angela asked in disbelief, she wasn't sure whether to believe the doctor or not. Could she be this lucky?

"Sometimes bleeding occurs in pregnancies within the first trimester without it being a serious problem. Although most times it can be a miscarriage, some cases can still go on to have a healthy baby in the end. Considering you are still in your first trimester of your pregnancy, the baby wasn't damaged by your fall; it was coincidence that the bleeding occurred afterwards. We will need to keep a close eye on you in the future though, in case the bleeding occurs again, then we may have a problem but other than that- I don't see why I can't let you go tomorrow. With crutches of course... You sprained your ankle. " Angela let out a breath that she had been holding and felt Adriano squeeze her hand tight, a small smile appeared on his face.

Angela was beginning to cry tears of happiness and thanked the doctor before she said "I'll leave you two alone." And left.

Her pain relief had started to ware off and she noticed how her body felt a little worse than a couple of minutes ago but that did not matter to her now after hearing the doctor's words. Adriano rubbed his thumb over her hand and looked into her eyes. She was waiting for his question and wasn't left waiting that long.