Chapter Eleven

When Angela woke up the next morning, she was surprised to find the house spotless clean- minus a coffee table and a few bookshelves. The smashed glass had been cleared, all of the broken objects were gone and the apartment practically looked like a showroom. There was also a large space made in the living room near the floor-to-ceiling windows. She quirked an eyebrow and wondered why.

After Angela made herself some coffee and woke up a little, she sat down at the breakfast bar and turned on the TV. She needed some background noise, she hated when she was home alone and silence took over the entire space.

Her thoughts went to last night and how scared she had been at the start. She didn't know why, but as soon as she saw Adrianno, she felt a lot of relief, she wasn't afraid of him in that moment although she had been many times before. She found herself hoping he was okay but his words rung in her ears soon after.

I'm a bad man, you don't know much about me but you know at least that.

She knew that she was completely forgetting how she had even gotten here in the first place. Adrianno had essentially forced her but she was better off now than she was in that cold, creaky studio apartment in the middle of nowhere. She was safer here, she knew that for sure. She wasn't always waiting for him to come and find her, she didn't have to think about escape routes if he did come back. Stop, she thought to herself, just stop. He won't come back, you won't ever have to see him again. Stop worrying.

She closed her eyes and breathed in through her nose and out through her mouth but jumped at the sound of the doorbell ringing. Angela cursed herself for being so jumpy and crept out into the living room quietly. She didn't know what to do, Adrianno never mentioned anything about answering the door. It must have been someone he knew or else they wouldn't have gotten all the way up here past security.

"Hey! Anyone home? We have a delivery." She heard a man's voice say from behind the door. She got on her tiptoes and was just barely able to look through the peephole.

*********

"You bought her a piano?" Allesandro questioned Adrianno and sniggered. Adrianno was starting to get sick of this kid, he was always being so damn disrespectful.

"Watch your tone kid." He growled at him. Adrianno knew he was getting a little defensive but no one laughed at him, especially not Alessandro. Franco was grinning wildly and Alessandro looked to be annoyed but he could care less. Adrianno had shut him up which was what he wanted.

Alessandro was replaceable; he was not a part of Adrianno's family, just someone who had joined when he was a late teen. He did not know anything about Adrianno but had an issue with authority. Although Adrianno knew Mike, his very own brother, could be foolish sometimes, he was no comparison to Alessandro. He liked to do his own thing; he made stupid mistakes and was messy. Another slip up and Adrianno would have to teach him a lesson. This business had no room for fuck-ups like Alessandro. "Why don't you go take a walk?" Adrianno asked him but used a tone that showed it was not a question.

"Why so touchy Adrianno?" Franco wondered.

"I don't want that god damn kid laughing at me." Adrianno replied.

"Hey, don't worry about him."

"I shouldn't have ordered the piano, it was a bad mistake. Should I call them up and cancel it? No, I can't it's already there by now." He didn't want to sound flustered but immediately felt regretful for getting Angela the instrument. It was on impulse the night of the dinner party when they got home and she went to bed. It was an irrational thing he had decided on at 5 AM in the morning while he was up thinking.

"Whoa, what's gotten into you? This is the most you've talked to me in like weeks Adrianno." He laughed heartily and patted Adrianno's shoulder. It was true, Adrianno was not a man of many words. Usually, he kept his expression stone cold, he never said much and his stare could burn holes through cement. He stood taller than 6 feet 5, he was like a giant and the definition of tall, dark and handsome except with a touch of dangerous too by supporting his two inch scar on his left cheek. Many would say he was a scary man, which was what he wanted everyone to think.