Chapter Twenty-Three

"How was she?" Adriano asked impatiently, Mike had just come through his front door and was taking off his coat. He threw it lazily over his couch and then sat down on the end of the red leather sofa. Mike looked up at Adriano, his brows furrowed. He had no clue what was going on or why Adriano had even asked him to go check up on Angela but he done so anyway.

"Angela's fine, she was asleep when I got in."

"She must have been tired, yes." Adriano mumbled, more so to himself than Mike. He was remembering back to the previous night and how they had got little sleep. Angela finally went to sleep in the early hours of the morning, leaving Adriano to unleash his menacing thoughts. "Did she seem alright?" Adriano asked worriedly, shooting his head to Mike.

"Well she was just... Sleepy, Angela didn't say much between the walk from the kitchen to her bedroom funnily enough Adriano." Mike stated sarcastically. "What the hell is going on between you two anyway? Why are you here and not at home with her where you can check up on her all you want?" He added, all of this was confusing. Adriano had turned up in the early hours of the morning at Mike's doorstep and stayed at his apartment since then and had yet to explain what was going on.

"Nothing, everything's fine." Adriano looked down again and then back up quickly. "Why could you have to walk her from the kitchen to her bedroom?" he inquired.

"Oh. That..." Mike snorted. "I found her asleep alright. She was face down in a plate of lasagne. That girls crazy I tell you." He laughed but Adriano's expression had sunk lower than it was before, which was hard to believe. He covered his face with one hand and pinched the bridge of his nose, his eyes closed shut.

"What am I going to do?" he asked himself lowly.

"Tell me what's wrong-"

"I fucked her okay? And now I don't know what to do because I can't go back after I left her." There was a dead silence which hit the room as soon as Adriano had spoken. He looked straight at his brother, his frustration was evident in his voice and he was now brushing his fingers through his hair.

"So what's the big deal? Why would you leave? It's not like you don't like her, or that you two don't get along. It's not the end of the world bro."

"But I shouldn't have done it."

"What? Walked out once you were done?"

"No, I shouldn't have done it with her." Adriano explained, like it should be obvious to Mike what he meant.

"I never thought I'd see the day when my big bro Adriano regretted getting laid. Mom was right, you really are changing." Mike sniggered and patted Adriano's tense back.

"What am I going to do?" he repeated again to himself.

"Stop fussing over something that's not worth fussing about. Go back to Angela and tell her you're sorry you had to leave early this morning and everything will be okay." Mike said, oblivious to Adriano's wandering thoughts.

"No. I can't. I can't let it happen again."

"Why the hell not? All those other women you've been with are nothing compared to Angela, you two were bound to do it some time."

"You don't understand." Adriano grumbled and got up from the sofa. Not only was he frustrated by this whole situation, but now by his younger brother too. Adriano had been trying to keep Angela away from anything to do with his life but was now bringing her deeper into it as he went. He wished he had resisted temptation. He wished he had stopped before it even started because then he wouldn't know what it felt like to be with her, and it would make his choices easier. He wished it never happened but was so glad at the same time and it confused him.