Chapter Sixteen

Adrianno lay in bed that night, wondering a lot of things. He couldn't sleep again, which was nothing new. He wanted to go into Angela and apologize. Actually, he thought, he didn't want to apologize, he wanted to do it again. He remembered her lips on his, her hands in his hair, the feel of her in his lap. He remembered how she had responded quickly; she had kissed him back hadn't she? It felt like she wanted to kiss him too, but the look on her face afterwards had shown otherwise. He didn't want her to feel awkward around him, so an apology was definitely was necessary, even if it was the last thing he wanted to do right now.

And so, that night, the two lay awake wondering what they were to do about what happened in the living room. Both wondered why they couldn't get the other off of their mind. Both confused as to why the kiss even happened and why they liked it.

The next morning when Angela got up from a restless sleep, she found the apartment empty and was glad too. It continued to be like that for the couple of days or so, Angela felt like she hadn't seen Adrianno in weeks but kept reminding herself that it was only days. She felt that feeling of being cut in half again, one part wanting to see him and the other hoping not to.

He would come home late, she would hear him from her room but never go out to see him. It was strange how they were sharing the same space but they never bumped into each other, when they decided they didn't want to do so. He had eaten her food, didn't bring anyone else home and hadn't gotten drunk so really, Angela had nothing to complain about except the fact that she just want so badly to talk to him. It was all very confusing for her.

But one morning, she woke up to the sound of people yelling and the cries of a baby. She immediately got up to figure out what the noise was. Putting her dressing gown on quickly and quietly opening the door to find that the voices were getting louder and not muffled anymore. It was Adrianno, most definitely and someone else too: A woman.

"I told you already, I amn't a babysitter." The woman said angrily, talking over each other and the baby's loud crying.

"I thought it might be good practise for you Luisa. You know, since you'll have to raise all of our children once we're married?" He spat back at her. Three words stood out to Angela among his shouting: Luisa, children and married. What the hell was going on? She thought. They continued to have a screaming match in the kitchen, with their backs to Angela a she stepped out into the living room and over to the baby in the push chair that was near them.

"Aw, come here. Shh." Angela said quietly to the little boy who must have only been a few months old. The child calmed a little at the new presence and by the time Angela had taken him in her arms, he fell completely silent besides the gentle o's and a's he made. He looked up at Angela as she rocked him, trying to sooth his cries.

Both Adrianno and Luisa's heads shot around at the new silence from the child.

"Angela?" Adrianno said, his voice like music to her ears. She hadn't spoken to him in a while now.

"What is she doing?" Luisa hissed quietly at him, but still loud enough for Angela to hear. She turned the child who was on her shoulder around a little so he could see her face again and she smiled at him. Adrianno's breath hitched in his throat at the sight of Angela holding the baby, she looked between the two of them and continued to rock Michael. She looked like a natural.

"I'm holding him?" she squeaked out in surprise at Luisa's bitter tone, she had reacted like Angela was doing something wrong.

"I can take him." Luisa snapped, tugging the child from Angela's arms roughly, causing him to let out small cries again that were building up into full force screaming. Yes, Angela was quiet, she was weak and she did tend to let people walk all over her at times but when there was a crying baby involved, she was different. She furrowed her brows in annoyance and took the baby gently again.