Loyal

The door to the throne room slammed open and a swarm of guards led by Aegeus came in. Sorin let me go and I sighed in relief.

"Whats going on?" He demanded

"There's been an issue with one of the Masters. He is demanding your presence immediately and has already attacked a guard." Aegeus said

"Fine I'll see him. Aegeus will you escort the female back to her room?" Sorin replied

Aegeus bowed and Sorin left with the other guards. Aegeus waited until the doors closed and immediately ran to my side.

"Are you okay? I came as soon as I had an excuse too. He didn't do anything did he?" Aegeus said

He fussed over me and I was too tired from holding back my emotions to stop him. As soon as he saw that I was unharmed he stepped back respectfully and waited for me to collect myself.

"I just want... no I need to take a shower. I feel disgusting." I said

He nodded and let me walk ahead of him. He was silent and let me have my space. I couldn't have asked for anything more and once we got to my room he began to take his leave.

"You can stay. I'll be back out in a little bit and I'm going to be hungry." I said, "I don't want you to have to worry about me. Unless you have somewhere else to be."

Aegeus gave me a shy smile, "I'll wait my lady."

I replied with a tired smile and went into my bathroom to take a shower. I put the water so hot that it felt cold against my skin. I used the fragrance free soap that I had been given and scrubbed my skin until it was raw. I couldn't seem to get rid of the feeling of Sorin's hands on me. I turned off the shower in defeat and dried off with a towel. By the time I was done I realized that I hadn't brought any clothes in with me and Aegeus was outside in my room. I sat on the edge of the sink for a few minutes nervously. After everything that had happened I didn't want to be near a man without layers on. A soft knock on the door made me jump.

"Are you okay my lady?" Aegeus called

I sighed and stood up off the sink.

"I'm fine... but, would you mind going outside my room. I forgot my clothes.." I said

"Of course." He answered

I waited until I heard the door to my room close and hesitantly opened up the bathroom door. My room was empty and on the vanity was two plates of steaming hot food. I smiled at this small kindness and quickly grabbed a pair of dark blue sweats, a white tank top, underwear, and a grey sweat shirt. I threw them all on and walked barefoot to my bedroom door. When I opened it I saw Aegeus standing against the wall resting his eyes. I hesitantly tapped his shoulder and his eyes flashed open.

"You can come in now." I said

He nodded and followed me into my room. We walked to the food plates and my mouth watered at the sight of steak and mashed potatoes. He had even brought soda for the both of us. I sat on the chair and he plopped on the floor. For several minutes we did not speak to each other we just ate. The food melted in my mouth like butter and the earlier feelings of being dirty faded from my mind.

"When you see the island is there anyone else there?" Aegeus whispered

I stopped eating and put down my fork. He wasn't looking at me he was staring intently into the ground. I sensed no ill will from him and took a chance.

"No it is empty save for several wild horses. It's beautiful and safe. I could feel it welcoming me in the deepest part of me." I answered

He looked at me and his eyes shined hopefully. He grabbed onto the carpet and his shoulders drooped.

"Do you think I could come with you? When you leave with all the others they will expect there to be a traitor and when they realize it's me..... I don't want to think about that." He said, "I'm prepared for it if it happens. But if there's a way to prevent it I'd like to know."

I stared at him not quite sure what to say. I didn't have an answer for him. I didn't even know if I could trust him completely. But so far he had been kind, open, and trustworthy. I could feel a difference within him that I knew I could trust. I got off the chair and sat next to him on the floor.

"I don't know Aegeus. But, if I can bring you I will. Trusting a man isn't in my nature." I said

"I can take your collar off on the day of the escape. I'll give you the key to the other women's too. There's a tracking chip in each of then so ditch the collars halfway to where you're going. Even if you can't take me I'll help you in every way I can." He said

Once again I was shocked, "Whoever this Songbird was she must have been very special."

For the first time I saw him smile for real. He ran his hand through his hair and closed his eyes.

"Yeah, she was." He whispered

His face fell and I could feel a shadow of pain envelope him. I gave him the only comfort I knew and placed my hand on his.

"She won't be forgotten." I said