Chapter Thirteen: Jason Grace

~Jason~

Ron was glaring at me with such venom that I almost winced.

"What's going on here," Ron said, slowly, like I was a little kid. "Is that you and your little friends are Death Eaters."

Percy made a noise that was almost like a stifled laugh. "Death Eater? What's that?"

Ron snarled. "Like you don't know."

Reyna yanked her sleeve out of his grip and stood next to me. "We really don't."

"Enlighten us," I said, glaring at the little group around Ron. A little blonde boy squeaked in terror.

Ron answered, "I'll let my friends tell you. Harry knows." He didn't say that part angrily.

"Fine," Percy said. "We'll find him."

Ron growled and pushed past us, banging into Nico as he went.

Percy mimed swinging a sword. "Can I just-"

"No," I said. "He's mortal. It'll just go right through him."

Percy punched the air. "That won't."

A kid brushed past me after Ron. He turned around and made a rude face.

That was it. I stalked toward him, ready to singe his eyebrows off, when Percy caught my arm.

"Dude," he said. "What is with you? You smell like ozone, and you look ready to strangle that guy. And you," he pointed at Nico, who was glaring in the direction Ron disappeared. "Death vibes are never a good sign."

"Let's go find Harry and see what this Death Eater business is about," I said.

***

We sat down, all in a row, next to Ginny. Hermione had her nose in a book, and Harry was peeling strands of candy off a stick.

"Licorice Wand," Ginny whispered to me, not at all surprised that a third of the exchange students had sat in her compartment.

"What's a Death Eater?" Percy said, leaning in like it was something confidential.

Ginny frowned and poked Harry on the arm. "They want to know about Death Eaters."

Harry looked up from his candy, and I saw that his face was totally colorless.

"Ah," said Hermione without looking up from her book. "I thought this might happen. Harry, don't leave anything out."

We leaned in raptly as Harry started to talk quietly.