2

Phil

I woke up.

I streched my arms and yawned. I got up and opened the curtains, so the sun lit up my room. I squinted and blinked several times before my eyes adjusted to the light. I reached out my hand, trying to find my glasses on my bedside table, but before I found them I knocked a glass of water off of it.

What a great start of the day. Meh, I'll just clean it later.

"Everything alright up there?" I heard Dan yell from the kitchen. What was he doing up that early? I thought that I was going to have to wake him up.

"Yea, everything's cool."

I headed downstairs to get some breakfast. Dan was still in his pajamas, with his bed hair. I never understood why he hated his hobbit hair so much. I thought that it was the cutest thing ever. I always told him not to straighten it, but he would never listen, being his cocky self.

"Hey" I yawned, "didn't expect you up that early."

"I know" he answered. "I don't even know what's happening to me. I must be very excited to see Cat, since I like her that much."

Oh.

"I'm just joking" he added quickly.

As if he was joking. I know he likes her.

"Good morning by the way. Slept well?" He asked while pouring hot water into two cups.

I blushed when I remembered the dream I had. It was abot Dan... and I don't even want to go into details. "Yeah. You?"

"Same. You never answered my question." He said and added coffee into the cups.

"What question?"

"Yesterday. You said you were thinking about something. What?"

I was obviously thinking about Dan, me and Dan, more specifically, but he couldn't know that. He was straight. And even if he wasn't, I would have no chance with him. I panicked a little, not knowing what to say.

"I was thinking about Cat." I answered, immediately regretting it.

Why the hell did I say that?!

"Yeah? What about her?" He added some sugar and milk into the coffee.

Oh god. What should I say?

"I... I think I like her"

Phil, you idiot! You knew that that would hurt him, because he likes her, yet you said it!

"Really?" He asked in a sad tone. He passed me one of the cups and I slowly took a sip.

"Y-yeah."

"Good for you, I guess. I think she likes you back." He said. He obviously tried to look like he's happy for me, but he was hurt.

Why? Was we jealous? Did he really like Cat that much?

"Really? You think so?" I said with a fake excited tone.

"Yeah. Have you never noticed the way she looks at you? She likes you. A lot, even. I think..." He took a deep breath in. He sounded like he was about to cry. What have I done? "...I think you guys are made for each other." He smiled weakly.

I wanted to say no, Dan.

I don't actually like her.

I like you.

But I didn't say it. Why? Because I was scared of ruining our friendship. It fucking sucks to be in love with your best friend. Straight best friend. This whole thing would be much easier if Dan wasn't straight.